30

Far From Home

The Fortress of Solitude

Superman sat back in his chair, staring at Ben Tennyson, his eyes wide with shock. Ben had just asked for his permission to marry his cousin, Kara, and was now waiting for his response. Lois Lane, who'd been standing next to him, gently poked him, trying to get him out of his stupor.

"Smallville," she whispered, "say something."

Superman blinked several times, then looked at Ben closely; the young man looked nervous, but at the same time, had a look of resolve in his eyes that said he truly meant to propose to Kara. As protective as he could be of his cousin at times, Superman had very high standards for anyone who'd wanted to date her. Ben, however, was everything he could hope for his cousin; he was responsible, caring, and willing to do anything to help people.

How could he say anything but…

"Yes," he said, smiling.

Ben's face lit up. "Really?"

"However," Superman said, standing up, "I have two conditions."

"And those would be?" Ben asked nervously, as Lois looked at Superman suspiciously.

What are you gonna say, Smallville? She thought.

"First," Superman said, "you'll wait until Kara's twenty-one before you propose; that's next month, so I don't see a problem there."

"Sure," Ben agreed, "and what's the other condition?"

Superman grinned. "I get to be the best man."

Ben smiled back; he'd been planning to ask Clark to be his best man from the beginning.

"No problem."

Superman walked up to him and wrapped him in a bear hug. "Then let me say, welcome to the family."

Lois smiled, trying to subtly wipe away a tear; she normally wasn't terribly affected by such sentimental stuff but, once Ben had told her the story of how he'd ended up in their universe, she was so happy that he could find such happiness. She moved up and, after Superman let him go, gave Ben a hug of her own.

"Of course," she whispered into his ear, "you not only have to get a ring, but you have to find a way to keep it hidden from a girl with x-ray vision."

Ben looked at her for a moment, then slapped his forehead.

"Didn't think that part through, did you?" asked Lois, laughing.

"No," Ben moaned.

"Don't worry," Superman said, "you've got time to figure it out."

Alternate Timeline, New Metropolis, the Year 3,000

Inside of their base, the Legion of Superheroes were in dire straits; their greatest enemies had escaped prison, and they didn't have the manpower to stop them this time.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" asked Phantom Girl, a young woman who wore a formfitting outfit of black and white, as well as a long white cape.