Chapter 25: Hershel...

Ricks POV:

English was right. It was a very bad idea to bring my son out here in the woods. Knowing the danger that occurs. The danger my children are in every second that they are out there. Whether it's the woods, the cities, or hell even inside of a building. We will always be in danger, no matter what I say or do. Nothing will ever change that.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Back at the church.

"Happy?" My daughter England asks as she smiles. From the fact that I want my wife and daughter safe or as safe they can be with the gun Daryl gave to Lori. Even with the gun England carries herself.

"Very," I reply, smiling at myself as I watch them and the rest of the group walking into the woods until they are out of sight.

I sighed walking over to Shane.

"Give me a minute," I say walking towards the church.

"Yeah..."

I walk up to the man on the cross as it hangs in the church.

"I don't know if you're looking at me with what?" I start. "Sadness? Scorn? Pity? Love?" I sigh. "Maybe just indifference. I guess you already know I'm not much of a believer. I guess I chose to put my faith elsewhere. My family, mostly. My friends. My job. The thing is, we- my daughter could use something to keep her going. She's- She's been through a lot and this is-is making it worse..." I sigh once again, rubbing my eyes.

"I could use something to keep us going. Some kind of... acknowledgment. Some indication I'm doing the right thing. You don't know what that is to know... Well, maybe you do." When nothing happens, I turn and start walking before I change my mind. Going back in front of the cross.

"Hey, Look. I don't need all the answers. Just-just a little nudge. A sign. Any sign will do." I scoff softly before walking out officially.
"Get what you needed?" Shane asks.

"Guess I'll find out."

We all walk in silence for half an hour. We hear branch snapping, I put my hand up making Carl stop walking. Shane grabs his arm pulling him behind us as we walk slowly towards the noise. I stopped walking, realising there was no sign of danger, just deer coming across our path. From the corner of my eye, I see Shane pulling his gun up. I was gonna let him shoot the deer until I saw Carl walking towards.

I put my hand up to lower his gun. He looks towards me, but I just nod towards Carl. He smiles when he sees the view in front of us.

For just a moment it was quiet. Just a moment it was peaceful, full of happiness, like there were no worries in the world. As if walkers didn't exist and the world had never gone to sh*t. It was just a moment where I felt like nothing could be wrong. But boy... was I wrong.

A gunshot could be heard. Next thing I know, Carl is laying on the ground with blood pouring out of his stomach. My eyes widen in shock, I'm frozen for a second before coming back to reality.

"NO!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I ran to my son, putting pressure on his wound.

"I didn't see him!" I hear a man yell from behind me.

"Back the hell up!" Shane yells back.

"Shane! He's losing too much blood! We gotta get him back to the rv!" I yell picking up his fragile body.

"I have a doctor with me! He can help your boy!" The man who shot my sons says.

"Where!"

"This way!" He says running in a direction.