Part 7- The Solution

"Why didn't you help me when he grabbed me? And how did he know my leg was broken?" she asked, panicked and scared.

I looked at her surprised, "I can hear you again!" She looked at me more surprised than I felt when I could hear her again.

"You mean you couldn't hear me call for you?" she said, shocked.

"No, I couldn't hear you speak, all I heard was barking, and yelping.

"Sorry, I thought he could help you, and he can fix broken bones. Please let him help you." I closed my eyes

"I don't want him to. Also just to let you know, you're the only person I know, trust, and let pet or hold me." she said.

I opened my eyes and looked at her again. "Are you hungry?"

"What are you serving?" she asked in a light tone like she was happy I asked.

"What do you want?" I have a feeling she would say raw meat.

But to my surprise she said "Anything will do for now, but once we are back in the woods I'm getting something raw to eat." she sounded happy. "Your dad's back." she said as she laid her head on my leg. I started to pet her head and back.

Just as she said, my dad walked into the room about a minute later. I looked at him, and he looked at me.

"Give her here." he said.

"Frost." I said, she looked at him, and then at me.

"Do I have to." she asked scared.. I nodded a little but to where she could tell, but my father couldn't. She looked back at my father before I nodded so I couldn't tell If she saw or not.

"Frost? Is that what you named her?" my father asked.

"Uh... yeah" I said. It was her real name, so it didn't really matter.

"Ok." he said as he took a panicking Frost from my lap.

She yelped again... that's when I realized I can't understand her again. It must be because someone other than me is holding her. I got up and left the room. I walked outside towards the shed, I looked around. Frost said something about rats... so there has to be some rats around here. There! Dead rats and a hole. It looks like Frost was stuck in the hole and the rats attacked her? Or was she chasing the rats and got her leg stuck, breaking it when she tried to free herself? Either way I got to remove these. I went inside the shed and grabbed a bag and a glove. Went back to the rats, put the glove on and put the rats inside the bag. I walked back inside my house and back into the room where I had left my father and Frost. My father just finished wrapping her leg with a tattered cloth. Frost was asleep, why? Was she in so much pain she passed out?

My father looked at me when he was done. "She doesn't like me touching her. She started to cry out in pain when I tried to put the bone back in place, but she ended up going out like a light. So that helped me, she didn't move as much." He explained. Who wouldn't pass out if they have a broken bone and its being put back in place? I know I'd be out in an instant. "What's in the bag?" he asked after he realized I was holding a bag, I forgot I still had it with me.

"I think this is what helped cause her broken leg." I said handing him the bag. "I walked around the shed and saw these dead rats, and there was a hole in the ground where she must have gotten her leg caught while fighting them. Sadly no tracks of other dogs, or animals in that fact." I explained what I'd been doing outside, during the time he was trying to fix Frost's leg.

"This pup has a lot of fight in her, you know that?" he said looking into the bag of rats.

"I could tell, she might be a pup, but that doesn't mean she can't do any harm." I said thinking out loud.

"Be careful, she tried to bite me twice after you left. I don't blame her though, a stranger messing with her injured leg. If it were me in her situation I would've just kept on trying to bite the person." he said as he got up with the bag in hand, he walked past me and out the door.

I walked over to Frost, who was asleep on the floor, now with a mending leg. I picked her up as carefully as I could and walked over to the stairs. I looked out the door, my dad left it open. He was throwing the bag with rats in it away, he looked at me and then walked over to his car. He was leaving to go to work, and I would stay home as always. I walked over and closed the front door, then walked up the stairs to my room. I moved the blankets on my bed and laid Frost close to the wall, I put a pillow behind her against the wall so she would be comfortable, she should remain asleep for a while... but for how long? I looked at my clock next to my bed, it says 09:27. I think I'll join her and sleep. I climbed in my bed and fell asleep right away. I dreamed of Frost but that dream didn't last very long.