Part 8- Recovery

I woke up staring at Jason, he was asleep, his arm laying on my side. I'm under his blankets, something is pressed up against my back… I turned to see what it was, but stopped when a searing pain ran through my leg when I moved. Oh right, it broke… today? Or was it yesterday? Out of the corner of my eye I saw the thing against my back was a pillow. I’m hungry… I started to move around, I’ll have to shove the pain aside if I wanted to get better soon. Without warning Jason began to move, I froze… instinct took over for a few seconds. But he only lifted his arm from my side and started to rub his eye. He looked at me, shocked for a moment, but he only put his arm on his side and started to get out of bed. He looked at something next to his bed, and then looked at me again.

I tilted my head to the side, “What is it?” he only looked away rubbed his eyes again and looked back at the thing next to the bed. “What is that?” I asked curious at what he was staring at.

“A clock” he said. He got up and walked over to the door, then he looked back at me. “You coming?” he asked.

“Can’t, even if I wanted to.” I said, looking around the room.

“Oh… right sorry, I’ll be back.” he said walking out of the room to the left, his footsteps going down. A staircase? 

I looked around, this was the first time I actually looked around his room. I looked at the foot of the bed I was on and noticed there was a little staircase I could probably use it, if I really wanted to get down. I tried to stand, but collapsed. I tried again, this time I was able to keep my balance. I started to limp over to the makeshift staircase. But it wasn’t easy, it hurt alot and the bed covered with blankets wasn't helping much either. I finally reached the foot of the bed, the makeshift staircase looked like it was made out of some type of leather. I put my non-broken front leg down on the first step and my broken leg on it as well, trying not to cry out in pain caused by the movement. Then I tried to put my back paws on it as well, I got on the first step easily, but I half tripped and half fell down the rest. When I reached the floor, I was happy. I looked at the staircase, that will only get easier from here. I heard footsteps coming up the staircase outside the room. I sat down and waited to see who it was. Jason, my friend, or his father, the one who fixed my leg. From the left was in fact Jason’s father with a dish in hand.

“Hope you enjoy this girl.” he said. I looked at the dish, I smelled… 

Food! He looked happy as he put the dish down. I limped forward to smell the food that was in the dish it was… 

Chicken! But I don’t trust this man, as much as I trust Jason, so I limped backwards and waited for him to leave. He only stood there waiting, was he waiting for me to eat it? Or did he just want to look at me? Either way it made me feel uncomfortable. So I barked at him a couple times, to go away and leave me in peace. He looked down the hall where I remember the huge staircase was. I listened and heard more footsteps… Jason has come back. I got up and started limping towards the door, I tripped a couple times but I still made it. The pain isn’t too much to bare once I get used to it. I reached the door and started to go out, but Jason’s father stopped me with his foot. I looked at him, and he looked at me. Jason came into view and I barked, he was dirty… where did he go when he left the room Jason’s father started to leave, and went down the stairs.

Jason came over to me “I’m back.” He stated, picking me up. “How did you get off my bed?” He was checking my leg.

“I used the little staircase next to your bed.” I hope he wasn’t mad.

“Ok, but that’s not a staircase…. Those are my books. I thought you fell off of my bed.” he was relieved, leaving his room, with me in hand.

“How long do you think it will take for my leg to heal?” I am worried.

“I asked my dad about that before I left and he said, ‘about a week if she is lucky, but she is still a pup so it should heal faster.’ though personally I think your leg will heal a lot faster than he thinks.” he explained as he walked down the stairs.

Jason put on his shoes and a coat, opened the door and walked outside. He closed the door behind him, and walked towards the woods. I was curious as to why he was walking towards the woods, but the thought stopped as soon as I smelled a rabbit. I wanted it… I was so hungry. I started to wiggle free from Jason’s grasp, but I didn’t get free, and he kept on walking towards the trees and the rabbit. I stopped moving and let him walk without trouble. He went behind a row of trees and there were 3 dead rabbits on the ground.