prologue

Background:

In 1922, the signing of the Washington Naval Treaty aimed to limit shipbuilding and prevent another Naval Arms Race after World War 1. However, in this alternate history scenario, the Treaty faces numerous issues as member nations refuse to cooperate, with only Great Britain willing to participate. Despite initial support, resistance to the Treaty grows over time, resulting in the continuation of ship construction that had previously been canceled or scrapped.

With the weakened Treaty not taking effect until 1927 and a significant loophole in the form of a Grandfather Clause, post-World War 1 shipbuilding projects are commissioned by various navies. Instead of implementing a maximum fleet tonnage, the Treaty restricts tonnage by ship. However, the Treaty fails to establish provisions for monitoring or enforcing these rules.

The reasons for the subsequent shipbuilding boom differ among nations, with some driven by imperialistic desires (Ironblood and Sakura Empire), nationalism (Sardegna Empire, Northern Parliament), or defense (Iris Templar order, Royal Navy, and Eagle Union). Many signatory nations disregard the Treaty, rendering it a mere hiccup for all nations by 1935, except for the Eagle Union and Royal Navy.

However, the lack of pressure to innovate battleship technology leads to slow advancements, particularly in the Sakura Empire, where improvements are minimal and more evolutionary in nature. Similarly, little emphasis is placed on the expansion of CV (fleet carrier) technology, with existing battlecruisers being converted into carriers and purpose-built carriers serving as experimental projects. This changes in 1934 when the US starts working on the Yorktown-class.

Despite Britain's attempt to strengthen the Treaty through the London Naval Conference in 1936, most nations reject the invitation, except for the Eagle Union, which later withdraws less than a month later. While most nations' naval projects remain reasonable, by 1939, as the world edges closer to war, nations begin ramping up "mega" projects, defying the very purpose of the Washington Treaty.

The Ironblood invasion of the White Eagle Republic in 1939 ignites another world war. Each warship possesses a unique personality and purpose, built for destruction or protection. Some notable classes include the Cleveland-Class, Baltimore-Class, Yorktown-Class, King George V-Class, Nelson-Class, Nagato-Class, Bismarck-Class, and Littorio-Class.

In response to the Sakura Empire's defiance of the Treaty, the Yamato-Class Battleship is developed, while the Americans create the Iowa-Class Battleship to mark the end of the battleship era. The US Navy confirms that the Montana-Class Battleship will be the last battleship class in American history.

In 1941, scientists discover an unknown small meteor known as the Wisdom Shard. The Japanese accidentally drop the shard on the Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, causing a blinding light and the emergence of a young man in a black navy uniform. This phenomenon occurs on other ships as well, manifesting warships into human form. The shards transform into Wisdom Cubes, and the Second World War extends for many more years.

In 1944, Nazi Germany launches its final battleship class, the H-Class Battleship (H-44), seeking vengeance for the deaths of the Battleship Bismarck and Battleship Tirpitz. The Japanese Empire responds with the A-150 or Yamamoto-Class Battleship, while the United States introduces the Montana-Class Battleship. Britain builds the Royal Sovereign class (HMS Royal Sovereign and HMS Fearless), Italy constructs the Gaius Duilius class battleship (RN Gaius Duilius), and the Soviet Union creates the SN Sovetskaya Rossiya class battleship.

The war rages on, with the emergence of the shipgirls adding a new dynamic to naval warfare. These shipgirls possess incredible abilities and powers, representing the spirit and essence of their respective warships.

As the war progresses, new ship classes are introduced, including advanced carriers like the Essex-class and Midway-class, as well as powerful fast battleships like the North Carolina-class and South Dakota-class. These ships, along with their shipgirl counterparts, play crucial roles in battles across the globe.

In 1945, the war finally comes to an end with the defeat of the Axis powers. The shipgirls, now bonded with their human counterparts, continue to serve their nations in peacetime. With the lessons learned from the war, naval technology and strategy undergo significant advancements.

The post-war era sees the rise of modern naval warfare, with the development of nuclear-powered submarines and aircraft carriers, guided missile systems, and advanced radar and sonar technologies. These advancements reshape the naval landscape, making traditional battleships less relevant.

Despite this shift, some nations maintain a small fleet of battleships for ceremonial purposes or as a symbol of national pride. These battleships, now retired from active service, serve as floating museums or memorials to the sailors who fought during the war.

The shipboys, now revered as heroes, continue to play a role in society, using their unique abilities to contribute to various fields, such as exploration, research, and disaster response.

In this alternate history scenario, the Washington Naval Treaty failed to prevent the shipbuilding boom and the development of powerful battleships. The emergence of shipgirls further changed the course of naval warfare, adding a supernatural element to the conflicts of the time. While battleships eventually became obsolete in the face of technological advancements, their legacy and the heroism of the shipgirls live on in the annals of naval history.

To be continued