7 | Levitating

When you arrived back home, for your lunch break, you were unsurprised to find neither of your parents home; which meant you had to prepare yourself a meal. So, with a sigh, you began to take stuff out of the fridge.

That was, till you saw your sweet neighbour, an old cat lady called Mrs Bonnefoy, go flying up past your window in a giant bubble.

The food that was previously in your mouth fell back onto your plate, as your jaw dropped in shock. "What in the name of?..." you spluttered, holding your fork limply.

As if you'd been slapped across the face, you jolted violently, dropped your cutlery, then ran out onto the street, only to see a million other bubbles up in the air, each containing an adult. Fear overtook your senses, as you realised that your parents might've been trapped as well.

However, your attention was dragged away by a girl your age, sprinting out of her house screaming, trying to follow another bubble, supposedly with her parents. You gasped, as she stumbled, and crashed into the bin outside her porch, leaving her defenseless on the ground.

You rushed over to her, and helped her up, stuttering in French, "Are you ok?!"

"T-They took my mum!" the girl cried hysterically, shaking as she pointed up at the sky.

"Ok, ok, relax," you assured her, holding her hand, "we're going to get them back."

"But what can we do?! We're not superheroes… we're just normal people. We can't possibly do anything," she whispered, tears falling down her cheeks.

You deflated as well; she was right. You were just a run-of-the-mill student with no special powers—and hell, you didn’t know a thing about what was going on.

Fucking fuck, why was this so unfair? You couldn’t do shit, and had to rely in two fucking teenagers in cosplay outfits!

You then gritted your teeth, and shook your head angrily, "Oh for fuck's sake!" you cursed, stamping your foot. The girl squeaked in surprise, but froze in place when you glared at her determinedly. "I'm not going to sit around and wait for some assholes in spandex to save my mum and dad for me!" you declared boldly.

Her lips parted slightly, but then she smiled, her eyes still watering. "You're right," she whispered. "We need to do something. But what?"

You were silent, before asking, "Is your mum still above your house?"

The girl nodded, pointing upwards, at a woman, barely above the roof of a terraced building. "She's the one with the brown hair," she whispered. "We live on the top floor."

"So… do you have access to the attic window?" you asked, pointing at the hatch, sticking out sorely among the muddy tiles.

"Oui," the girl answered.

"Fine," you mumbled to yourself, taking in a shaky breath. "I'll go up on the roof and try to free her. Could you get me some type of sharp object please?"

She nodded, visibly motivated, and you both walked into the house, and started up the stairs. You were both silent, clearly still panicked about what was going on, but she broke the silence; "Lucinda," she stuttered. "Je suis Lucinda. Et toi?"