26 | I'll Be There For You

"Adrien's coming with us to get ice cream, Adrien's coming with us to get ice cream, Adrien's going to have ice cream with me!"

"Marinette, please calm down," you remarked uneasily, standing next to your friend, awkwardly shifting from foot to foot, bathed in the fading warm colours of the sunset. "Do you remember what we talked about?"

"Ah! Right, right… unhealthy. It's unhealthy," she scolded herself, and smiled at you apologetically.

You gave her a reassuring grin in response, proud of her effort to overcome her obsession.

She wasn't wrong, though. Somehow, you'd been roped into going to get ice cream with Alya, Nino, Adrien, Mylene, Ivan and Marinette; that was, if Adrien could even come. From what you'd gathered, his father, the famous (and stinking rich) Gabriel Agreste was not a very lenient parent.

The corner of your lips tugged upwards, as you recalled how for a brief five minutes, you, Chloé and Adrien had shared a civil conversation when they came round to your house. Sure, they were privileged, and had a long way to go before you could properly trust them, but…

… well, you felt confident enough to inject them with socialist ideologies.

"(Y/n), why are you smiling like that? It's creepy," Marinette shivered.

"Huh? Oh, nothing, nothing, just thinking about anarchy and the betrayal within the bourgeoisie I'm about to meticulously formulate and the takedown of the upper class," you laughed in English, fully knowing she wouldn’t understand a word you said.

She was clearly about to further interrogate you, disturbed by your devious cackles, but then Alya, Nino, Mylene and Ivan rounded the corner.

"What are you laughing about, (Y/n)?" Alya greeted you in a cheerful manner, nudging your side. "What's going through that mysterious brain of yours?"

A huff of pride escaped you, and you thumped your fist against your chest in the Attack On Titan salute; "Only the smartest ideas, ma'am!" you responded playfully.

"Yeah right, you're probably thinking about setting something on fire," Nino teased.

"Bang on, young sir, as I said, only the finest ideas are fit for my marvellous British mind," you drawled, in a very exaggerated English accent — this elicited a laugh out of your companions.

"Where… where's Adrien?" Marinette suddenly asked, peering around for the blond.

Nino grimaced, "His dad isn't letting him go out. Something about piano practice, apparently."

Marinette's face dropped, and she deflated, instantly becoming upset. You winced, and placed a hand on her shoulder, in a poor attempt to comfort her; and in an attempt to lift the dismal atmosphere, Nino pulled out his phone, to locate the sweethearts ice cream guy that everyone seemed to want to see.

Alya then grabbed Marinette's wrist, as everyone rushed off to where he was — you followed, less enthusiastically. Once you arrived, at Pons des Arts, it was easy for you to determine why André was so popular. It was a very romantic notion, and quite a few couples had been formed due to this man.

Slightly weird to you, but perhaps this was another French thing you didn't understand.

In any case, Marinette wasn't too thrilled to be 5th wheeling, slumped down on a bench, as Mylene and Ivan got their ice cream. You sat down next to her, and although you weren't dejected as her, you could feel her pain on a certain level.