22 | Drift Away

After school, one day, you were subject to Marinette dragging you aside, before class, in order to talk to you about “something”. To say you were nervous was an understatement, but you still obliged, since she looked practically infuriated, and you had a strong suspicion it was due to the very civil conversation you’d shared with Adrien this morning.

Well, it had been civil until he’d put his arm around your shoulders, and given you sort of a half hug. It was clear the blond was very attached to you.

All right, (Y/n),” she huffed, folding her arms, once you were out of earshot from everyone else. “I want an honest answer from you, to this question!

Ah shit, here we go again.

Bien sur…” you responded, sweating slightly.

Marinette took a deep breath, composing herself, before finally asking aggressively, “Is my love for Adrien obsessive?!

You blinked, that hadn’t been the query you were expecting. Was she finally becoming self aware? That would be quite the development.

What bothered you more was how to answer; so, you mulled over your response, before answering in the typical British fashion of dancing around the point, “Well, I don’t want to sound rude, but I think that sometimes, your love for Adrien is obsessive — but, I mean, I am sure you love him a lot, but maybe you should take a step back and give him some space

Oh, oh, I knew it!” she exclaimed, shaking her head. “I-I’ve gone too far, haven’t I?

“I didn’t—I do not think that” you attempted to convey your thoughts, scratching the back of your neck.

I knew it, I knew it! I’m so… I’m so dumb,” she whispered, as if she’d suddenly had a huge revelation. “Obsessiveness isn’t love, is it?

“Uh? Yes?” you replied blankly, trying to get your message across. “Yes, but… maybe you’re being a little harsh on yourself here.

I get it now,” she laughed with faint hysteria, “ I was being so damn stupid! Stalking him, stealing his phone, getting into fencing just because I wanted to see him, and then I caused Kagami to get akumatized because of that! I don’t even know what this feeling is now! I was trying to convince myself I’m in love with Adrien, when I don't know anything about him!” Marinette burst into tears, hiding her face.

You flinched in surprise, before awkwardly placing your hands on her shoulders, “Marinette, take it easy, ok?” you advised nervously, subconsciously switching to English in your slight panic, wracking your brain on how to comfort her.

You’re smart, right, (Y/n)? Can’t you explain why I’m like this? Can't you explain why I’m a terrible person?!” she cried out, her fists suddenly flying out, and weakly hitting your chest.”Adrien likes you! How did you get him to like you?! Why… why do you have everything I want?!

A sigh escaped you, and you hugged her properly, allowing her to slump against you. “Marinette, I don’t have everything you want, you probably have what I want,” you assured her. “Are you sure you want my honest thoughts on everything though?

S'il te plaît,” Marinette mumbled, shaking intensely, visibly struggling to come to grips with the fact that her crush on Adrien wasn’t as wholesome as she originally thought.