Chapter 6

The siren of the ambulance filled the air. Nia felt like she lost her whole world. Seeing her friend in that ambulance made her heart sink to her stomach. As she saw everything unfold, she felt Matt hugging her. Nia buried herself in Matt's warm arms and started sobbing. Matt comforted her as he let her cry. He doesn't know what to do either at this point. Nia felt helpless. All of the memories with Sally, it just hurt. Everything that happened kept replaying like a broken recorder. Her last words was stuck in her head like gum.

Don't ever forget me. I love you.

"I will never forget you."

...I love you...

"I love you, too." She mumbled to herself as she tightened her hug. More tears fell.

It hurts.

Next day arrived and Nia found herself in the hospital's waiting room. She was hoping to hear good news. Nia wasn't the only one waiting there, Sally's whole family was there. Her mom, her dad, her siblings, everyone. The silence ate the whole room. No one talked, no one made a sound, just quiet. It didn't take long as the doctor went in. She knew something must've gone wrong just by looking at the doctor's face.

"Okay. About Ms. Buenaflor, we were lucky enough to get all the flowers in time. Although, based on what we've seen on her records, she had already reached the 4th stage of hanahaki. She made it through the surgery, although she might not be able to remember you all." The doctor informed us.

Nia was shocked by the news. She couldn't figure out what to do. She had lost a friend, her BEST friend. She felt like it was her fault. It's like she's responsible for her death. If she only knew about this, she would've helped out. Nia didn't feel like staying anymore so she stood up, preparing to leave until Sally's parents went to her.

"Are you Nia? Sally's friend?" Mrs. Buenaflor asked.

"Oh, yeah. I'm really sorry."

"What are you sorry for, dear?" Mrs Buenaflor asked with her soothing voice. She was a bit confused.

"If I only knew, I would've helped." Nia mumbled as tears pressed on again. Sally's mum sighed and went to give the crying girl a hug.

"It's not your fault, honey. You made her the happiest person. She loved you so much and I can't thank you enough for being there for her."

She really did love me. How blind of me to not even see it.

I'm sorry, Sally.

~

Nia could never forget that day. The day where she gifted her friend a fully bloomed flower. A flower they didn't know that somewhat started their friendship. It was a bright and sunny sunday. Nia was nine as Sally was eight years old. Nia didn't expect Sally to come so she was surprised to see Sally running to her.

"Woah! What are those?" A curious Sally asked as she saw her friend holding a strange flower.

"This is a chrysanthemum flower. It's my favorite flower!" Nia said as she handed one to Sally. "Here! You can have this one. Now we can both take care of one!"

Sally's smile beamed when her friend handed her a beautiful flower. She had never thought of having a favorite flower. She's not very familiar with a lot of them. But now, this is definitely her new favorite. She was very happy to have the same favorite as Nia, it's like they're twins now. Everything they do or have, the other one follows up.

"Anyways, what's it called again? A chrytanmum??"

Nia laughed as she watched her friend attempt to say the flower's name. She didn't mind at all. It took her a while before actually nailing how to say it. She always wonders why the most beautiful flowers have the most confusing names. "It's chry-san-the-mum." Nia said the word syllable by syllable, hoping that would help.

"Chrysanthemum?" Sally tried again.

"Yeah, you got it! Congrats!" Nia cheered for her.

Sally squealed when she heard she nailed that confusing word. The two jumped up and down happily. They're not quite sure why but they are just really happy and glad they get to play. They both felt lucky to meet each other, even if it was somewhat an accident. They both met at a piano tutoring. Sally had really enjoyed playing it so she kept taking lessons every weekend. That goes the same for Nia, she really loved listening to that majestic thing so her parents signed her up for one. As they grew up, Nia continued to practice but as for Sally, she somewhat grew out of it but she enjoyed listening to Nia play it, nonetheless.

"So, what do you wanna do now?" Sally asked as she sat beside her best friend.

"Do you wanna go play inside? We can play with my new Barbie set. It even came with a piano for barbie!" Nia suggested.

"Sure! As long as my barbie gets to play with the piano too." Sally joked. It always makes Nia's day. She quickly ran over to Nia who's already at their door. The two happy kids entered and played for the rest of the day.....

Nia smiled as she remembered everything. That day was the best day she could've ever experienced. She felt like all of those good memories were thrown out and crumpled into a ball. Sally forgot her now. Every memory of them together, dissipated into thin air. Nia couldn't care less anymore as she let the tears flow. She didn't even care to wipe it when Matt entered.

Matt looked at her and didn't even think twice before leaning in to hug her. He held her in his arms tightly as he gave a small kiss on Nia's forehead. He really hoped that everything would go back to normal again. He really wished things would go back to the way it is but he knew that it would take a while. Both of them knew that it will eventually but for now, I guess this is how it'll be.