XVII

Graham Gore flicked his wand at the device that had been recording their conversation, giving it a rest for a minute and he leaned back in his chair, cracking his neck and stretching. This had been a long session and Hermione thought perhaps this was a welcome pause before the action-filled climax. 

He was watching her, drumming his fingers on the table, perhaps wondering whether he should say something to her. But he thought better of it, taking a sip from his cup instead and chose to click the recorder on again, assuming his formal voice once more as he leaned towards it to state. "We have now arrived at the day of the incident. We are almost out of time," his eyes bright with a suppressed thrill for adventure, turned to her. "Ms Granger, tell us what happened next."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Harry had been sleeping in his bed when he was woken up by a bright haze of a light that was coming from somewhere. His first instinct was to reach for his wand and another to protect Ginny sleeping beside him, but he saw that it was a ball of light that had entered through their window and was dancing at the foot of his bed. 

It was still dark outside- at the crack of dawn and he rubbed his eyes to see it clearer when right before his eyes the light took the form of a doe. It was a doe that he knew all too well. He sat up in bed, inching closer to it as it began to speak.

There is going to be an attack at the BMBC today. Don't tell anyone. Hermione will be there. She will need your help.

With this, the doe pranced about in the air and disappeared in thin wisps of smoke. Harry was left a little confused but he knew the Minister had a scheduled appointment at the BMBC that day and he was getting forewarned that something was going to take place there. But what had Hermione got to do with that? It was the first time he had heard about her in weeks- who knew what she had been up to? But if she needed his help, he would make sure that he was going to be there for her.

He looked at Ginny- she hadn't woken up yet, but he jumped out of bed. Maybe he needed to be early to work today. 

*****************************

Hermione and Snape were already getting ready when someone came knocking on their door to say that Moody was ready for them. "We'll be right there," she replied, before making sure Snape was ready to go as well. He nodded and proceeded to hold the door open for her, but she stopped at the exit and took a deep breath. He realized that her tension was peaking and he allowed her to have a moment, patiently standing by. 

She forced a smile and took his hand. "You know, no matter what happens today-"

"Nothing is going to happen to you," he emphasized, repeating, "I won't let any harm come to you."

"No, listen," she took both of his hands in hers, "I'm just saying that no matter what happens today, I want you to know that- that I really care about you, and um," she felt herself choking a little, "I don't wanna lose you either...and I'm glad that the best thing that happened to me in this mess of an absolutely worst few months... was you."

There was a bit of moisture at the corner of his eyes too as he leaned down, touching his forehead to hers. "You are an amazing woman and I'm glad that I got to fully appreciate the brilliance that is you."

She wiped at her eyes and he asked, "Who would've thought?" wanting to make her smile. And it worked. She snorted out a laugh, "Not me..."

He smiled too and he lifted her chin towards him to kiss her lips tenderly, with her giving in to his warmth and safety, wishing this moment would never end. This was not goodbye- the both of them didn't want it to be, and they would give everything they could to be with each other till the end of the line.