VII

As soon as Hermione and Snape floo-ed out of the Ministry, they arrived at a seedy old pub. Hermione thought it was abandoned since the lights were off and the furniture looked hardly to be in use, all rickety and dust-covered but she realized that it had gotten quite late and the pub had been closed for the night.

Before she could even get a bearing of her surroundings, Snape had yanked her after him and they ran out of the place, stepping out on a cobbled road. She didn't even know which part of the city they were in but she guessed it was pretty deep inside Knockturn alley- places where she had never been in and never thought she'd ever be.

Wordlessly, she followed Snape as he guided her through the dense network of alleyways and hidden pathways, mostly keeping to the dark lanes and avoiding the big avenues and crowded thoroughfares. Because of the late hour, not many people were out in the streets, but they still kept a lookout as they traversed through the obscure avenues of London. 

After going on like this for a while, Hermione had to ask. "Where are we going?"

"We need a place to stay...at least for the night," replied Snape.

Soon they appeared before a small and succinct building with insipid brick exterior walls. It seemed to be tucked away between two other broad and tall houses but a welcoming light spilled out of the open door and Hermione doubted whether the entrance could be seen if one didn't stand at a particular spot on the pavement. The abode appeared to be an inn.

"We'll be safe here from the Ministry police," was all Snape offered, "This will have to make do for now." 

It was definitely invisible to muggle eyes and it was unlikely many wizarding folks knew about its existence either.  "How do you know about this place?" she asked.

After a pause, he replied, "You know I've been doing this for a long time. I think I know every doorman and bellhop of every decent shithouse, borderline decent flophouse on both sides of the wizarding community. And if you can't tell whether it's light or dark outside anymore, it is better to stay inside a safe hole, even if it's in the ground."

They cautiously walked over to the stout old lady at the reception. The bespectacled stocky old woman was dozing in her seat, but she shook herself up as she heard them approach. Her clothes were moth-eaten and her unbrushed hair was done up in a messy bun but she was certainly used to late-night visitors, and she plucked up the spectacles hanging from her neck by a string. They had been resting on her bosom but now she placed them upon her nose, as she smiled up at her new guests.

"Good evening, dears! How can I help you?"

"Hello,...um, we are looking for accommodations for tonight. We might need to be here for a few days," Snape conversed, "And, uh, we'll be needing food. If you don't serve meals here then could you possibly suggest someplace-"

At that moment a door was opened loudly, followed by a raucous noise as four or five men left the tavern and headed out, jesting among themselves. Hermione and Snape had sharply turned towards the sound and now both visibly relaxed. And each of them realized that the other's hand had shot straight to the place where their wands were.

Looking at the two of them, the woman realized that they were quite on edge, but she was used to dealing with people who came seeking shelter, possibly on the run from threats or evading capture. However, she didn't poke her nose in any of their business and expected them not to poke their nose in hers. That's why Snape brought Hermione here; he knew this innkeeper to be inconspicuous.  

"Will that be two rooms then?" she inquired, opening up the tattered logbook.

"Yes-"

"No!" Hermione quickly supplied and looked towards Snape who had sharply turned to her, incredulous. "I- I don't feel good about staying in a room all by myself. I get terrible anxiety...Please, if you don't mind-"