II

Hermione had been a little late in getting up that morning, but this was her new routine now- what's with the morning sickness and the overall lethargy, she usually preferred to stay in bed till later in the day. And she didn't need to worry about getting late for work as she was on maternity leave since the last week.

When she carefully clambered down the stairs, she was surprised to find Ron still at the breakfast table, poring over a piece of parchment with his brows crossed in a troubled expression.

"Darling, won't you be late?" she asked, worried that he had probably lost track of time again. "Did the mail just come in?"

"Yup," he replied, still staring at the letter in his hand, then added in a murmur, "This was quite a curious one...I've been at it for hours. But I finally got it."

"What is it?" she asked, picking up the torn envelope that he had just been working on from an assortment of other bills and letters, "Anything to worry about?"

"No, no," he shoved the paper on the inside of his coat pocket, "I'll tell you when I get back." He swung his bag around his body and turned to her, taking her hands in his, "Are you sure you're gonna be alright, hon'?"

She cocked her head. "Ron, it's the third time you're asking me this. Yes, I'll be fine! Go."

"Okay," he smiled when she playfully pushed him off and then cursed, looking at the clock, "Bloody hell! Is that the time? I gotta run!" 

Even if it was something at work that was bothering him, she knew he wouldn't show it. After all, he was an Auror now and his job included the occasional brush with adventure and underlying danger of fieldwork and Ron preferred to keep the details out when he talked about his day to his wife, especially now that she was pregnant and he didn't wanna give her any stress.  

Sometimes Hermione felt an odd twinge of envy for him, and Harry too, for being out there, getting their hands dirty. At school she had fantasized about what it would be like fighting the dark alongside her friends as an Auror. Objective reason and common sense told her that her skills lay more in academics than armoury, no matter how great of a spell-caster she was, but there was a part of her that still craved adventure.

However, it has been five years since the war and she had joined the Department for the Regulation and control of Magical Creatures and worked her way to become the Deputy head of her branch, right before she got married earlier that year.

Ron was a good husband and they were doing pretty well for themselves, settled down at a suburban home, both successful at their jobs and their livelihood was comfortable if not lavish. When they announced the good news soon after, the Weasleys couldn't be prouder but Hermione had to swallow some snide remarks from people. "Wow, they didn't waste any time, did they?". The pregnancy had had been a surprise really.

But Ron had been very supportive throughout and she was happy- she couldn't have asked for more.

Ron gulped down the remainder of his coffee and leaned in for a quick kiss, "Don't wait up, I might be a little late tonight. I love you!"

"Love you too!" she waved goodbye as he rushed off. She returned her attention to the envelope once again, not really feeling like reading the scribbled words on it; she felt she was not fully awake till she had had some tea, which usually helped with the nausea. So she let it drop, picking up the Daily Prophet instead. 

She scanned through the pages, reading the usual headlines: 'Dark Wizard catching flourishing', 'Minister Shacklebolt- a hero', 'Queen praises the Auror office's efforts in purging the society of dark forces', 'Minister of Magic defends Muggle Prime Minister over continued muggle disappearances but states things could run better if the muggle government was as competent as the wizarding government', while sipping on her tea, when she suddenly realized that she was starving and went off to cook herself some breakfast.