XIX

"As I said for the fifth time now, I feel fine Severus," Hermione said, fighting the urge to roll her eyes, although she didn't mind being pampered a little while she gorged on some food and drink. Snape offered to take the glass from her hand and set it down on the table while he sat in a chair beside her bed, making sure she was being properly taken care of. "Be quiet and eat," he said, after which he huffed, getting out of his chair, "The healer should be here by now...what's taking so long?"

Despite Hermione's protests, Snape had brought her straight to St. Mungo's from the Ministry headquarters, although she would've preferred if they could have just gone home, but Snape wanted to make sure that her injuries were treated first and she was given a proper health checkup before she was cleared to go. And there was the conversation of who's house they were going to go to- Snape's or Hermione's, now that they were together. That was another conversation they hadn't had a chance to have, as were many others, but they were sure they could do that now, in their own time. At the moment though, their health and wellbeing was more important.

"So you sought out Harry, so that I could be protected?" she asked, although she had already figured it out. He looked back at her and came back to sit in the chair again, facing her. "Yes. I sent him a patronus that morning. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I told him I didn't care what else happened but you had to come out of this alive. When the fight started, the Ministry attacked with their full force, Union members were falling left and right, I was completely cornered," his face reflected the despair he must have felt and the sadness that he might never get to see her again, "Potter got to me first, he thrust this coin into my palm without the knowledge of the other Aurors and it transported me to his house- Grimmauld place."

The coin he talked about was probably an old DA coin, charmed to serve as a portkey on this occasion. Hermione was listening intently, while continuing to chew her food. She was interested in knowing how they pulled this off but to be fair, she hadn't had decent food in a long while. "Moody appeared there seconds later. He was hurt badly, so I carried him in, and the Weasley girl- sorry, Mrs Potter was courteous enough to take care of us," He placed a hand over hers, when he spotted a bit of concern about him in her face. "I heard from Potter that they had taken you in for questioning and so he and I made this plan. Well, I made the plan and he made all the other arrangements."

She smiled. "I have a lot to thank you for...and I suppose when I see Harry again, I'll have to thank him too."

He let out a snort. "I'd say you're even...the number of times you've saved his pompous arse," he added after a beat, "And mine too..."

She laughed more now and it was so melodious to his ears that he beamed. "I wish you could've seen it...the protests, the demonstrations, the sheer volume of the outpouring of people's discontent after your broadcast and subsequent arrest." he continued, "I think for the first time people were talking less about Harry Potter and more about his less famous but not to mention, more talented friend."

She pressed her lips together seeing that Snape was actually enjoying that aspect. "And what about Crouch's men?" she asked.

He let out a whistle of a sigh. "They besieged the Ministry as soon as news got to them that their leader was going to be executed. The Ministry officers pushed them back and the UN officers arrived by then and started apprehending them one by one. I hear they're rounding up the rest of them from Russia as well- their base of operation. But you don't need to worry yourself about all that now."

She nodded, thinking for a while as she chewed on her lips. "So...um, what happens now?"

He looked at her, trying to understand whether she was referring to the magical government or their relationship, or perhaps both and although he opened his mouth, he hadn't fully decided what to say. But at that moment, a healthcare specialist walked into the room studying Hermione's reports and Snape got off the chair, eager to hear good news.