8•something returned

Umi's concern for her lack of social skills crept to her as the summer sun rose and dived in the sky. She worried that her reactions to James' dad jokes were a second or two late, or her laughter on text needed more "hahaha" for genuineness. James said it must be capital, and at least four. 

More than calling her a machine for being emotionless sometimes, he pointed out her lack of 'adjustments.' "You're set at default," he said. "But don't worry, we'd tinker your emotions to function." Sometimes, she also wondered if she was too comfortable with the silence being left alone with Ethan or if the latter just found her company boring.

Although, this concern for the lack of social skills was only selective for two people. Rumor has it that the brothers had the same love for challenge and that they share everything, including her. It didn't bother her. Now that she was back online with her new social media accounts, at least the raunchy and smooth DMs disappeared, with the knowledge that she was 'taken,' to whatever context they interpret the word.

She and James are friends. Sort of, as it was what James announced on one of their lunches. So was Ethan. But that was Umi stretching the company and his somehow cordial replies. She admitted she thought more of him, but she did not crave for too much. His occasional smiles, gazes that would then sweep to other directions, and the occasional gestures that made her feel valued, Ethan would then be once more, become cold.

It was enough for Umi.

The three of them have questions for each other, but no one fired first. Sometimes, they would fall into silence, drowning in their thoughts. Gradually, the wonders of James' intention for friendship were buried deep into her thoughts.

Pauline no longer hovered. Maybe that had something to do with her and James' argument. Aside from occasional glares and side-eyes when their paths crossed, there were no more attempts. And now, on the first day of the first semester, Umi pulled her social skills worries to the bottom of her list.

"Umi!"

She could always recognize the voice, how he waved his hands at each syllable of her name and how his smile would stretch wider the closer she was. In the end, she'd smile too, a little crooked, but it was her best, along with the second-hand embarrassment every time James shouted for her in the crowd. "How are you?"

She also acknowledged Ethan beside him with a nod before an answer.

"Fine, I guess. Same when you asked me 14 hours ago."

"Great then. I'll ask you one hour later just to make sure."

Ethan inserted himself in the greetings to excuse himself. "He's at the lobby, then I'll be back."

James frowned watching his brother's back disappear into the crowd.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yeah." His grin bloomed on his face like it was a reflex every time he faced Umi. He then leaned a little closer and whispered, "It's just that my brother's friend is back. We don't get along."

"Oh." She blinked away at the bile rising in her gut. Ethan had a lot of friends back in high school. Umi knew one in particular.

By lunch, she hurried to the rooftop where the three of them would meet. She debated whether to share the clubhouse sandwich she made. Would it still be called such if there weren't any tomatoes? she wondered. Were they even edible to be shared?

"You're still hanging out on rooftops, I see."

She woke up from the self-debate whilst watching the people below. Aside from James, she could never forget his voice. Nor his laughter.