something brave 2

Umi no longer asked for reasons. They were right, you just breathe, because that's how humans are made. And no matter how she fought it, Umi was swept away by the brothers. They too gave her space to breathe on her own and didn't force her to join the party.

There was not much repercussion from the cafeteria incident aside from Ethan's reputation plummeting as someone violent. "Or, it could be an upgrade," as James argued. "Girls like bad boys."

"Not all girls." Umi laughed at the smudge of mayo on the corner of his lips.

"You?"

"Hm?" Her eyes met with Ethan's after she handed James a tissue.

"Do you like bad boys?'

"For the love of—" James sputtered at his brother's question. "You could do better than that bro."

Umi swallowed her answer and masked it with a giggle.

As for Vince, he was suspended for a week instead, on the grounds of harassment. The incident also incited a few complaints from other female students against him. And at last, Bea finally found out who her ex-boyfriend cheated with who was falsely blamed on Umi at first.

On how the tables turned on him, only Umi's father and his friends on the board of trustees would know. It was the first time she sent him a short "Thank you." through text and nothing more.

Umi received no apologies from others, nor did she expect. One correction won't change a whole misconception. Speculations over time become true. She loved it that way. The selective truth people perceive and how they refuse to change their judgment of her. Even she refused to change the view of herself and others, as fast as how the approaching Acquaintance Party did.

Let's take it one Saturday at a time, she told herself.

"Thank you, sweetheart," her father said after an hour they spent a meal together in silence.

Umi nodded and occupied herself with the food. This time, she was the one who finished her meal last.

"Until next Saturday."

He left first for a meeting and Umi remained on her seat, savouring the meal that somehow, for the first time, was seasoned enough for her taste.

"Well, well. What an interesting discovery."

Umi halted mid-slice, as the owner of the voice, slid to the seat where her father sat. Jux Puenco then began eating the leftovers with gusto.

"No wonder you're so hard to get these days, they said." He reached for the glass and helped himself with water. "Not the brothers, yeah? You're moving up in the world and got yourself a big fish. Does Pauline know?"

The fork clanged against her plate as Jux lounged back on the seat with a languid grin.

"Of course I know. It's a small world. Our world." He then leaned forward with his elbows on the table, watching Umi like a vulture, piercing at any crack on her blank face, slowly breaking into different colors.

"I've been watching you, Umi. Really well."

"Stop." Her knuckles paled at her tightened grip on the steak knife.

"You know, I've always wanted to take you to this restaurant for a long time, but then, you were always so modest. Burgers and fries in front of the school were better, you said. I always eat the tomatoes for you." His smile slowly faded. "What happened, Umi? Needed an upgrade?"

"You were my friend," she said instead, with so much sadness and anger. "I'm sorry I couldn't give you all of me. I did my best Jux. I never told them your name because despite it all, despite our faults, we used to be friends. It was the end for us, but why now? What else do you want from me?"

"You," he answered in a heartbeat. "All of you."

For a moment, softness passed on his face, like how he used to ask her how many shots of coffee she wanted on different occasions. Or how he apologized if there wasn't enough creamer.

"And that little body of yours."

Then her memories of them laughing and people watching with their burgers came crashing down.

More so, disgust took over her.

"I showed no motive. I thought... You were a good friend Jux. You were the only one there when I was lost. College was hard, but you were there. What was it, 'There's no need for payback?' And we're not talking about the coffee breaks and the fries."

"Nothing's free in this world, Umi. We all wanted something in return."

No. Not everyone, James and Ethan are different.

"And I'll collect payment."

"I'm not afraid of you."

"You shouldn't be." A smile, so gentle and genuine, broke into his face. Never mind how his hair was longer and the wavy fringe framed his face, now sharper because of his lost weight. It was the smile of an old friend, and Umi was heartbroken looking at it.

"All I want is you Umi, not your fear. Just give in and I'll stop."

Their past was too big of a waste. Too late. He was too obsessed and she was too mad and terrified of him. She smiled bitterly as she stood and grabbed her things. "Never."

Stepping onto the pavement outside the hotel where the restaurant was, she searched for a name on her phone.

"We all wanted something in return."

She gripped her phone and sucked the air, filling in her lungs.

Not him. Not them.

Breathing. Moving on and living life as she should, is like breathing.

"Is black okay?' she asked after the third ring.

[What?] James' voice was still groggy on the other line.

"Acquaintance Party. Is black too gloomy for a dress?"

After a few seconds of silence, he answered. [Nah. You'd rock it.]