13 | Rocket

You accompanied Marinette back to the centre of the city, where she rushed to the park, and acquired a bird feather, for her Derby. Then, you stepped back onto the bus, and waited patiently to get back to the girl’s house; except, for some reason, the trip was taking longer than usual.

Marinette was visibly aggravated, since the school would be presenting the designs in about a few hours, and she still needed to actually make the thing; however you were just humiliated, because your dad’s brown fedora was still sitting lopsided on your head, as you’d forgotten to take it off before you left.

(Safe to say it wasn’t particularly well matched with your jeans and hoodie.)

Oh, come on!” Marinette exclaimed, stomping over to the front of the vehicle, “What’s taking so long?!

Second hand embarrassment slapped you across the face, as you awkwardly stood up as well, and held up a hand pathetically, preparing to ask her to sit down again, but the driver suddenly announced that everyone would have to get off. You stepped over to the automatic doors, and stared out at the mass of pigeons crowding the roads, stopping all transport.

“What in the name of…?” you asked blankly, taking off your glasses and putting them back on again just to make sure you weren’t seeing things.

This… is weird,” Marinette admitted, cautiously exiting the bus, and moving through the mass of birds.

You could only nod in agreement, utterly baffled by the amount of them, and followed Marinette as she stepped towards the screen in the square, which was displaying a news report. According to the authorities, another crazy villain had turned up, who was to you, clearly very unhinged, considering he was wearing a swimming suit, and was talking about giving Paris back to the pigeons.

I’ve heard of animal rights, but this is taking it too far,” you snarked, folding your arms skeptically.

You said it,” Marinette sighed, shaking her head, before turning to you apologetically, “(Y/n), I, uh, I really need the toilet, but if you could go back to my place and wait for me there—"

“No, no, I get it,” you gave her a cheeky look, “go do your business.”

Marinette was thrown off guard by your acceptance, but quickly disappeared, and shortly after, Ladybug emerged, which just made you smile slightly. Then, you glanced around, wondering how to get yourself to the Dupain-Cheng bakery; a sigh escaped you, and you placed the fedora properly on your head, before beginning a relaxed walk across the streets, strolling through the flocks of birds.

Despite the ensuing chaos, you were somehow perfectly oblivious to the surprised shrieks of citizens, and the copious amounts of bird shit on the buildings, though you jumped over the white splatters on the pavement.

Once you arrived at the bakery, you were a little nervous, peeking through the entrance uncertainly at a Chinese woman at the counter. You knew that she was Marinette’s mother, her features were very similar to your classmate’s, but that somehow made you even more anxious. So, you slipped inside quietly, glancing around at the various pastries within the shop.

Bonjour! How may I help you?” the lady asked in a friendly manner, noticing your somewhat silent entrance.

Oh, I, uh, I’m a friend of Marinette’s, and… she told me to wait here while she go — I mean, goes and does something ,” you gabbled, tripping over your own words, smacking the side of your head at your idiocy.