xii. cabin in the woods

The woods were a lonely place for these children

The woods were a lonely place for these children. They walked them for what it seemed like eternity and never got tired of walking. They never gotten tired of surviving.

Vee's green eyes scanned around the area they'd last been. It was the afternoon—close to dark. Evening was approaching the siblings of power and they knew they had to find somewhere safe to sleep. El gave a look at her brother again, looking specifically at his eyes. The green, sage like, color seemed to take over everything he had from before. Though, they seemed normal for him. The immediate change must've happened when they were running or when he used his gifts—but they never changed before? So why now?

El didn't know, and Vee didn't know anything more either despite it being his eyes. The night before he cried over the abnormality he was given—by someone or something. Maybe a disease? Papa mentioned them. But Vee didn't know what they were. But now, he just dealt with it. That's all he could do. He couldn't cry, not over this, not anymore. No more tears could be shed. His brown eyes were gone—now he had his green and pink ones.

   And now he had to deal with it.

The two had been walking for a while, hunger was apparent in their stomachs. They hadn't eaten in some days ever since the whole thievery of that man, who they hadn't seen at all after the event, and had been starving.

   But it seemed the siblings knew of a place that kept food—a small black box. Placed in the middle of nowhere, but they just so happened to be in the middle of nowhere this time of night. Obviously, it was hard trying to remember where the box was each time, especially when they moved around a lot, but usually they made it back relatively fast. Depending on where they where.

   But Vee suddenly sensed something—someone familiar. Someone they knew.

   El gripped Vee's hand, tightly, and hid behind they tree that was tucked behind the box. Hopper. They saw him park suddenly, near the tree line that would lead outside on the road. The big man got out his truck slowly and walked even slower through the woods—making his way towards the tiny box.

   El's heart beater faster, and Vee could feel everything she was feeling. The pain, nervousness, curiosity, and the overwhelming sense of being tired. Tired of walking around this hell, being trapped in these woods. He could feel everything, unlike before. It seemed something sparked in him in that moment. Something he had never felt before. He felt El's emotions as if it was his own—and they glanced at each other.

   Maybe? El thought, loud enough for him to hear.

   Vee thought, he thought for more than a minute. More than five minutes. He thought, long and hard. Before he nodded. Yes.