2. Resolve

Jefferson approaches the second set of doors into the sanctum and TC's music can be heard pulsating from the hidden speakers inside. He nods to the beat as he makes his way to the main room. When he turns toward the central computer he stops short. Ahead of him, Jen and TC seem to be engaged in deep conversation; her stance is even and grounded while TC is fumbling with the arms rests of the desk chair. Jen has one arm wrapped around herself, and the other across her chest and resting on her opposite shoulder. Her fingers move in a repetitive motion against her neck along a thin gold chain. TC turns to face her with wide questioning eyes. Jen nods and he seems to stall a moment before he tilts his head to one side and nods. A deep sigh raises Jen's shoulders and as they fall her hands go to her face. Upon noticing Jefferson TC's eyes go wide; Jefferson clears his throat.

"H-hey Mr. Pierce," TC half yells projecting. He lowers the music. Jefferson raises a hand but his eyes fall on Jen. She runs her hands under her chin then wipes her hands on her leggings. Jefferson joins the teens by the computer.

"Did something happen?" TC presses his lips together and looks down into his lap. Jen's attention turns to her father. Her lashes are soaked, her lashlines are bright red and, and her cheeks a ruddy and pink at the apples.

"Dad, I'll tell you later." He reaches for her instinctually reaches for her but she steps away and picks up her water bottle off of the desk. She steps down off the island and turns back.

"Can we go?"

"Yeah," Jefferson says. He waves at TC and Jen raises a hand.

"See you TC."

Father and daughter exit the sanctum and start down the tunnels. They follow the halls outward until they are far enough from the sanctum and away from any electricity lines vital to the city's power.

"We could run a lap or two, do some hand-to-hand combat without and then with our powers."

"Sounds good."

Jefferson takes up his usual running stance. Jen sets her water bottle down close to one of the walls then joins her father and takes her own stance. The two take to the tunnels, keeping the same pace, and soon return to their starting point. After stretches, they run through their usual hand-to-hand combat drills then finish up with tag-teamed attacks. By the end, both father and daughter are out of breath with a hand on the nearest wall trying to catch their breath. Jen clears her throat and takes a long drink from her water bottle. She bends to set it down but as rises, her body thrusts backward and she groans. Amber-colored energy engulfs her frame flaring outward. Eyes wide Jefferson immediately approaches her.

"No, dad it's ok," Jen says through gritted teeth with a hand stretched out. "I've got it."

Squatting Jen gets sits on the floor and crosses her legs. She places her hands, palms up on her knees, and slowly brings her thumbs and middle fingers together until they touch. She rises slowly until she plateaus levitating at face height with her father. His eyes don't leave her as she floats before him. A few minutes pass, the heatless flames lessen, and the light around her dims to little stars and dusty amber glaze. She descends landing soundlessly on the floor. Jen takes a deep breath before she opens her eyes to her father's hand. Looking up at him, she places her hand in his and he gently pulls her to her feet.

"You're getting good at that," he comments. "Parenna really helped."

"Yeah," Jen replies nodding. She leans down and grabs her water bottle.

"Ready to go?" Jefferson asks. Jen nods and the two head toward the tunnel exit. In the car, Jefferson reaches into the center console as he pulls from the curb and offers up the aux. A smile spreads across Jen's face and she produces her phone from her hoodie pocket. Once she's connected, she chooses some music and the two of them silently jam all the way home. Jefferson steps inside first waits for Jen then secure the locks on the door. The clinking of a wooden spoon against metal and ceramic materials can be heard in the kitchen's direction and Jefferson head in that direction but Jen head straight to the stairs. Standing on the second step, she can see into the kitchen where she watches her father wraps his arms around her mother from behind. As he pulls her close she smiles and sets down the wooden spoon in her hand. She presses her arms over his and turns to him. She leans in, their noses touch and he kisses her tenderly, once then again and Jen's lips tug up upward at the corners. Seeing them like that---so lovey since the wedding stirs something in her chest; her left-hand reaches for the pendant resting against collarbones. She edges forward but just as she is about to head upstairs, Lynn calls out and the sound of footsteps follows.