9. Open Up

Jennifer shakes out her limbs and then bends down for her water bottle. The air outside is cool, and crisp for a late spring day just enough for a light sweater. The sun has just started to rise, blanketing the landscape in pinky-orange light. She has a sip of water and then sets her water bottle down near the stairs. She makes her way down the stairs. . As she steps onto the pavement, the front door creaks drawing Jen's attention backward over her shoulders. Her father, Jefferson steps out and stops short as he meets her eyes. He's dressed as she is, in athletic wear, prepped for exercise.

"Good morning," he says with a slight smile curving his lips and twinkling in his eyes.

"Morning," Jen replies.

"Seems like we had the same idea," he comments gesturing to her athleisure outfit comprised of sneakers, leggings, a sports bra, and a cropped hoodie. He locks the door behind him and walks over to her. "Can I join you?"

"Sure," Jen replies. He plucks her earbuds from one pocket and her phone from the other. She offers up one of her wireless earbuds. 

"Music?"

"Thanks," Jefferson takes it and smiles. Jen nods and taps away on her phone for a bit and as the music starts playing they make their way down the steps and begin with a brisk walk, into a jog. By the end of the block, jogging turns into a run. After another block, the music picks up and they break into a proper run. At the start of mile three, they slow to a jog for a block before picking up the pace again. By the middle of the fourth mile, Jen picks up the pace and her father speeds up to match her. As he matches her pace upon noticing she glances over. He raises an eyebrow; she smiles. Jen directs her attention straight ahead and relaxes her muscles in the core and begins picking up speed. Pumping her arms, she squeezes out a sprint pulling herself forward on the tips of her toes. She arrives first and taps one of the stair posts as momentum pulls her forward a few steps. Jefferson arrives a few minutes later, out of breath and smiling.

"You're quicker than I remember," he comments between staggered breaths. Jen shakes her head and takes a seat on the steps. Her father joins her. After a sip of water, she looks at him.

"You've still got it." She pulls her phone from her pocket and glances at the time. "I've only got three minutes on you."

They head inside and drink some more water, they make breakfast together and eat; they set aside a plate for Lynn. Jen heads to her room where she sheds her sweaty clothing and takes a shower in her bathroom. Afterward, she takes some time to go through her skincare routine and does some simple makeup. She pairs black biker shorts with a grey crewneck sweatshirt, white socks, and white sneakers and ties her head with a black scarf in a low bun. With gel and a toothbrush, she lays her edges, ties them down, and packs her bag to study. She removes the scarf, glances in the mirror, and then grabs her things. She fills her water bottle downstairs and makes a stop in the study, where she finds her father at his desk on the computer.

"Can I use the car?" she requests.

"For?"

"Gonna go study at that cafe on Lexington, the one close to Uncle Gamni's old store. TC is gonna join me later."

"All right, Be careful."

"I will." ______________Jen looks up just as TC closes his notebook, he walks over to the counter. He waits, orders then wait again, and soon returns with his own hot beverage. He has a sip as he sits and reaches for his iPad where he crosses another task off his list manually. He reaches for his laptop but as he opens it his phone sounds. His eyes light up as he reaches for it, unlocks it, and begins typing away.