15. Who We Could Be

"I'm gonna need a few minutes," Jen says picking up her menu. "You said 'whatever I want?' right?" Khalil smirks then nods, and Jen can't help but smile back. The soft rock wafting from the hidden speakers above shifts into lo-fi, Jen begins breathing softer and her shoulders lose hidden tension.

"Whatever you want." Jennifer nods slowly and as she slowly raises her menu Khalil's eyes don't leave her. He raises his head as the menu starts to cover her face and as it does, he raises an eyebrow for a moment before raising his own menu. Jennifer sighs softly and their eyes linger then she begins scanning the list of appetizers but as she begins considering her options in relation to her entree her mind wanders. Her eyes flicker to Khalil but he doesn't appear to notice. The center of her chest twinges.

He deserves to know, of course, he does.

Telling him what happened will help him recover his memories but all that comes with baggage; all the pain, all the guilt, and all of the things that he was forced to do. Can he handle all of that, can I?

The night they ran...

"Being here with you right now is enough for me," Khalil said. He took her hand and her eyes wandered there. Their fingers intertwined; warmth, comfort, and familiarity filled the space around them. The look in Khalil's eyes softened and the smile on his lips reflected in his eyes. With a sigh, Jen tilted her head and she smiled back. That smile of his must be laced with serotonin she thought. He took her hand and held it in both of his but soon sighed and his face quickly darkened; pain etched itself into his dark thick brows and he briefly pressed a kiss to her hand. A cold chill rushed through Jen. "J, you don't have to do this," Khalil said. "I know we always said we'd leave Freeland together but that doesn't have to be tonight."

"You're in danger," she said. She points over her shoulder at the windows behind them. "Tobias sent people to kill you. That's more than enough reason to leave."

"That's not what I---" he stammers. "What I mean is, you don't have to leave." She looked at him and he froze but he seemed unable to stop the words from coming out. "Just because my future is ruined doesn't mean yours has to be too. I want you with me, of course, but, I can't ask you to throw away your plans for me. I won't." She turned her body to his.

"I appreciate the concern---I know what you're trying to do but," she said looking at their hands. "I'm doing this. We're doing this. This is not your fault, Khalil." His lips parted in protest but she shook her head. "It's not. None of this is. And I'm not letting you handle it on your own. You've got me and I'm going to help you."

"But, J," Khalil interjected. "I---" His face falls and his eyes dart back and forth as he searches for words.

"Look at me." He took a moment but soon met her eyes.

"What we need to focus on right now, is finding a safe place for you to stay. After that, we can figure out what to do next and...then if you want me to go home. I'll go." His eyes widened.

"Yeah?" he questioned caressing her hand. Jen nodded.

"Yeah." Khalil's brows knitted. She sighs and her shoulders relax. Jen bites her lip as she quietly processes but as he thoughts swirl, Khalil stares and she doesn't seem to notice.

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"How do you make decisions and immediately seem so sure of them? Like, if you're nervous or scared or anything, you're an incredible actress 'cuz, it doesn't show."