𝖎𝖝. Down the Drain

Kathryn and JJ don't talk about what happened that night

Kathryn and JJ don't talk about what happened that night. Or at least, not with words, but they keep stealing glances at each other, thinking they're slick when Pope and Kie clearly see what's going on. There's always something going on anyway.

Somewhere, she knows she hurt him when she said their situation was 'embarrassing'. He doesn't have to mention it every so often for her to know – he still does – she saw it on his face. What she meant was, it's frustrating and embarrassing the way they keep turning around each other like freaking idiots without being able to do anything about it. They would be if Kathryn let them, but she can't. The time isn't right, neither are the reasons. Maybe she's a bit of an overachiever, trying to get the perfect timing, or maybe she doesn't want her first experience after what happened to be tainted by whatever situation they're in. She chooses to believe the former...

And anyway, it's not like they're going to be talking about it right this very second, as they're going to be paddling in what is, most likely, shit. Obviously, searching the storm drain was going to be gross, but the smell is a bit much.

"This is the north drain," JJ tells them as they arrive at the place. "It should've gotten washed into the gully. So, if it got flushed out from this drain," he says, pointing to it, "it would've been pushed out to, like..."

Kathryn stares at the water beneath them. "Somewhere in the poo water."

The giggle that JJ lets out makes everyone turn to him with concerned faces. "'Poo wotah'," he repeats. He waits for Kathryn to say something. "No? Doesn't have the same effect on you?"

She stares. "Kill yourself."

"Definitely not a turn on then."

"Know who should die?" Kie chimes, wanting nothing more than to direct the conversation elsewhere. "People who use plastic. They should be shot."

Kathryn refrains herself from pointing out that her beaded necklace is technically plastic. No need to be petty.

"Okay, personally, I love plastic," JJ says as he and Pope start searching the water. "Use it every day. Love the stuff."