𝖝𝖎. Golden Wheat

Kathryn didn't sleep well

Kathryn didn't sleep well. She didn't expect to, but getting exactly three hours of sleep isn't big on the mood, and the fact that it's her only makes it worse. All in all, she doesn't expect today to be a good day.

She watched JJ leave when she woke up, traces of her t-shirt on his cheek still from how good he slept. She would be a tad jealous if Billy's words weren't echoing in her mind. She knew that she was right; eventually, Kathryn would have to give JJ a definitive answer about their relationship. She just didn't know which one. Too much comes into play. His feelings, her feelings, the skeletons in their closets... The ghosts of parents and angry touches... JJ had had enough anger in his life, she reckons. It felt easier to let him go than to stop being angry herself. She had been trying, and knew how hard it would be.

By the time she could be considered human, he would be gone, and she'd be a monster again.

Still, there was no time to think about this right now. She was supposed to get to school, as it was the only place Henry and Max would let her go after their argument. It's a good thing she likes school, otherwise she'd have to grow a backbone and stand up for herself against a parental figure. Which does not seem like a walk in the park, after getting her mom arrested.

Again, she thinks back to the whole 'exploring a sunken Grady White' plan.

She slams her locker open, JJ leaning against them next to her, waiting for her to take her stuff before going to the long awaited history class.

"I'm not saying I'll be up," he argues. "But you can try to wake me when you wake up, so I don't have to rush out the place in the morning."

She had the bad mind to tell him that he snored this morning. Then he asked why she had been awake – if she was watching him, to which she just stared until he looked away – and then asked her to wake him when she did.

She hums. "Sure. I'll wake you up at five A.M. tomorrow."

"What?" he cries out. "Why do you wake up so early? Why do you do that to yourself? Is that a form of self-harm, should I warn Pope–"

She's about to answer something that would imply having a pain kink, which would have immediately shut JJ up, when she sees someone walk up to her from the corner of her eyes.