𝖝𝖝𝖛𝖎𝖎. My Druthers

John B is the only one who goes into Shoupe's office to give him the tape

John B is the only one who goes into Shoupe's office to give him the tape. Kathryn considered going in too, but the last time she tried to turn in a Cameron, she was left more traumatised than relieved. Not to mention the time previous that... She had been covered in blood. And from what she's heard about herself on that tape, she fears she might be again if she walks in. Blood sticks to you.

She's not particularly begging to see Shoupe either. The only interaction they had that day was her boring holes into his skull, watching him listen to the tape incriminating Ward and Rafe, his moustache twitching when he heard the man talk about Kathryn, knowing he contributed to that. Knowing he made similar remarks when he first saw her back.

When he was done, he nodded at her. Kathryn is tired of holding grudges when she should be falling in love. She nodded back.

Now, sitting in the Château courtyard with Sarah, she isn't sure why everyone is celebrating. Well, okay, she knows why. It just feels like double-standards, and that irks her.

When her mom was sent to jail, there wasn't enough time to rejoice, at all. They were literally on the run. John B wasn't even there. Even after, they didn't celebrate it; they solemnly attended her very short trial, and then she was just gone. Not dead, but gone. If Kathryn had a nickel...

Back then, they seemed to realise that yeah, Caroline was a bitch. Yeah, she mistreated Kat for years, she's one of the reasons behind what happened with Rafe, she killed her dad, yes, she deserves to be put in jail. But Kathryn didn't deserve to live through that. And Kathryn always had and always will have some kind of love for her mother.

They are wretched mirrors of each other. Caroline was once Kathryn. Kathryn only hopes she can escape that fate.

The thing is, now, besides Kie who keeps sneaking glances at her, Sarah isn't supported by her friends. At all. They can't seem to separate the man from the father, even if that's what Sarah needs. John B himself is screaming and howling in laughter at whatever JJ said. Billy blinks at them, confused but grinning. Pope is chuckling to himself.

Sitting outside, Kathryn stays with her, looking through the window with sour looks on their faces.

The latter looks at the former in slight worry, the kind she hides well. Sarah tries a smile, and fails miserably.