𝖝𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. Stick Season

Today is the last in a long list of 'how bad can it get?' and 'surely, this is rock bottom

Today is the last in a long list of 'how bad can it get?' and 'surely, this is rock bottom.' On their way to Freedman's Church, the group is faced by another enemy that they can't very well scream or throw punches at.

"Oh, shit, the tide."

The water has risen and flooded well over the path back to the main island. There's no way in hell that they're getting through this time.

"How deep is that?" Kie asks.

"I dunno," John B answers, driving again. "The road's gone."

He stops the van. "Tide rose faster than I thought it would," JJ lets out.

Kathryn purses her lips, nodding. "Understatement of the year."

"Uh... KD, how high are the spark plugs?"

She takes some lint off of her jeans. "I'm not participating in that. You're breaking this van all on your own."

John B hums. "They're good. We're fine."

"How high are they?"

"Oh, um..." He winces. "Just above the taillight."

"So, three feet," Kathryn adds.

JJ sighs. "That's three feet."

Kie frowns, staring at the water. "It can't be three feet deep."

"So then what's the problem?" John B asks.

"Not a problem," JJ nods, taking a dive deep in denial. "No, we're good. We're good. She'll make it."

Kathryn snorts. "I hope you're talking about the van this time because there's no way in hell I'm willingly driving us into the mud. We're gonna get stuck."

"Come on," John B drawls. "Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seat belts. Hold on to something. We're going into hyperdrive."

JJ makes the sign of the cross over his chest. "I'll say a quick prayer."

John B starts the van, groaning, yelling a little. The Twinkie doesn't move, at first. Then, it departs in a squelch, water flying inside from the opened windows.