Chapter Five

Y/N

Opening my eyes, I yawn, but it wasn't a tired yawn, instead, it was an I've just woken up from the best night's sleep I've had in a long time yawn. As my mind goes over last night's events, behind me Zak yawns loudly but keeps his death grip around my waist, and I remember falling asleep with a serial killer. I'd shown Zak my scars and he held me while I cried, no one believed me when I was a child, called me attention-seeking and a liar so I'd kept quiet until now.

'Good morning y/n,' Zak's morning voice was like music to my ears, fuck he was sexy.

I roll over and come face to face with him and smile, 'good morning Zak. Do you think you can loosen the death grip as much as I like it?'

He laughs, 'Nah I'm good.'

I give in and cuddle against his chest, happy to wake up with someone else in bed, instead of waking up alone like I usually did.

After twenty minutes Zak releases me, 'yeah I need the bathroom so no more morning cuddles.'

He jumps out of bed and runs into the bathroom leaving me in bed unrestrained. But I didn't want to run away. Zak comes out wearing a surprised expression as he takes in the sight in front of him, 'wow you stayed,' most sane people would have escaped.'

I snort and get out of the bed myself and walk past him into the bathroom, 'you probably know where I live anyway.'

I shut the door in his still surprised face.

ZAK

I head into the kitchen deciding to cook some waffles since that's all I had. This felt strange being domestic. I'd been alone for years now, content with my own company or at least I thought I was content.

'You look so normal not covered in blood Zak. Like you'd blend in with a crowd. Just like the Zak on tv.'

I glance to my right to see y/n had entered the kitchen and jumped up onto one of the counters to watch me cook. I guess I did look kind of different out of killer mode, less intimidating.

'I guess, this is the real me y/n. I take on a different look and personality when I'm on the hunt. This Zak doesn't scare people, this Zak gets easily spooked by ghosts.'

y/n nods, 'I like it, and do you know where my phone is?'

I point at the dining table, 'I took the liberty of telling your friends that you'd hooked up with a guy and they seemed content.'

y/n groans and hops off the counter, 'I don't have the most concerned friends Zak.'

I laugh under my breath and continue cooking the waffles, blushing slightly that she said he liked this side of me. Now I needed to be serious with her about what I had planned today.

'I can't let you go right now y/n, but since you'll be staying with me, for the time being, I'm going to go to your place and grab you a few things.'

'I guess there's no point in me asking if I can go as well,' y/n responds, and I don't need to look at her to hear the pout in her voice.

Every fibre in my body screamed at me to keep her locked up here because she'd run the first chance she could, but even if I locked her in the house she would find a way out with her criminal past. If she was with me and tried anything I could keep her under control.

'You can come but don't try anything,' I reply sternly.

y/n whoops loudly behind me and I roll my eyes and plate up the waffles. Today was going to be interesting for sure.

~Time Skip~

Y/N

Zak was nervous the whole car ride over to my apartment. I tried to start a conversation with him, but his eyes stayed glued to the road and his hands clenched around the wheel until his knuckles turned white. I knew he was on edge letting me come with him thinking I was going to run and expose him, but I was finding myself more and more drawn to him to the point I wanted to stay because I wasn't sure what was going to come next.

We pull up outside a rundown building that was slowly falling apart brick by brick but I called this place home. Zak kills the engine and we both stare up at the building.

'Geesh, couldn't find anywhere nicery/n,' Zak jokes, cracking a smile.

I shake my head, 'it's cheap, not all of us have money to splash around Zak.'

We get out of the car and I immediately put my hands in the pocket of the hoodie Zak had leant me because I complained I was cold. There was a slight chill in the air and a t-shirt just wouldn't cut it. Plus the hoodie smelt of Zak which was a bonus.

'I could get used to you wearing my clothes y/n,' Zak playfully nudges me in the side, before placing a hand on my back and guides me towards the front door.

I snort, 'I'm surprised you owned anything not covered in blood, you need to wash your clothes more.'

Luckily there was no one else around so I could say that without the worry of someone eavesdropping.

I open the door of my second-floor apartment and cringe, after trying the light switch and discovering the electricity had been cut off.

'Err I'll go and grab some things, Joel,' I mutter under my breath.

I quickly leave his side and dart into the bedroom, wanting to be out of here as soon as we could because I was ashamed of just how close to the poverty line I lived. Life hadn't been good to me but I survived.

ZAK

Unlike Ahren who could barely afford this shitty apartment, I was given money by my parents to get my first place and then through the show and museum had made a nice little fortune for myself. I never wanted for anything because everything was handed to me on a silver platter. But now I was older I didn't like too many luxurious things, I preferred having enough to get by day by day.

'Now you're not y/n.'

I freeze and turn around, hand on the handle of the knife inside my waistband, at an unfamiliar male voice. There in the open doorway was a man in a tailored business suit, kind of like the ones my father used to wear.

'No, I'm not, I'm Zak, who the hell are you?' I reply angrily, not liking that someone had crept in after us without my keen senses picking anything up.

'Zak I'm ready to go—'

y/n walks back into the room holding a backpack and a duffle bag speaking quite animatedly until she looks at the guy in the doorway and freezes on the spot, her eyes going wide in terror. So she knew this guy.

The suited guy snaps his fingers, 'Zak Bagans, I thought I recognised your face. Sorry to hear about your father, the first victim of the serial killer. What are you doing with this one?' he gestures behind me to y/n who had shuffled closer to me.

I clench my fist, never wanting to hear my father's name again. I couldn't quite put a name to this guys face but if he knew my dad he couldn't be a nice guy. I do my best to shield y/n who had started to shake, her skin going a paler shade of white.

'Leaving is what we're doing, come on y/n,' I command.

Keeping myself in between y/n and this guy I manage to shuffle us out of the apartment, all the while keeping an eye on the guy who didn't put up a fight or try to stop us from leaving.

He bows, 'I told you y/n that I'd never forget you.'

I get y/n and I the hell out of dodge, taking three steps at a time. Once outside y/n seems to unfreeze and move away from me, eyeing me with caution. Now wasn't the time for her to act up.

'Did you kill your father Zak?' she asks innocently, with a slight quiver in her voice.