Chapter Nine

*FINAL CHAPTER (FOR NOW)*

Y/N

Sleep didn't come as easy as I assumed it would, all I could think about was Carl telling the Police that it was Zak who had stabbed him and not me. Zak hadn't responded to my message though it had come up that he'd read the message. It was slowly eating away at me until I talked myself into doing the impossible; I was going to have to kill Carl to keep him quiet and make sure no one suspected Zak of being any sort of killer so that when he came back he could get back on with the show and museum without constantly looking over his shoulder paranoid.

ZAK

It took me a lot longer to get back into town because of two car crashes than I would have liked. But now I was here at the hospital where they would have taken Carl and needed to borrow some drugs to make sure that monster didn't talk again. I would have taken my trusty knife but didn't want to risk any potential security measures. A big part of me believed this was to cover my own back, but when y/n said she wasn't free after I told him Carl was dead I knew I was doing this for her.

Y/N

I walk up to the main reception desk and smile at the young girl, 'hi, my uncle was admitted he's called Carl Jones, I got a phone call earlier saying he's out of surgery.'

She nods and starts typing, 'ah yes, he has been taken from recovery to the ICU. If you take the lift to the third floor and follow the signs for the ICU you will get there in no time. I can ring ahead and let them know you're coming err—'

'y/n,' I cut in.

'You can go right ahead y/n,' she replies, and I smile before walking towards the lifts.

As I step into one and press the button for the third floor and watch the doors slide shut across the reception I catch the eye of Zak, who stops in his tracks and stares back at me. I mouth 'ICU' and he nods in understanding as the doors shut. As relieved as I was to see Zak this was my fight, and Carl was my issue. Zak wouldn't have flipped out on me if Carl wasn't around.

Once on the third floor, I follow the ICU signs kind of like a robot, avoiding any unnecessary contact wanting to get to my destination. I push open the doors to the ICU and find the place rather empty to my relief.

A doctor approaches me, 'you must be y/n. I'm Carl's doctor, Doctor Morgan.'

I shake his outstretched hand, 'how did he survive no offence?'

Dr Morgan sighs, 'a few inches to the left and he would have died. His vocal cords are pretty messed up, but hopefully, in the next few days, he'll be able to communicate with the Police. Though he's not out of the woods and we constantly have to monitor his breathing because his heart could stop at any minute after he did die on the table for ten minutes.'

I click my tongue, 'can I see him?'

'Yes you can, try not to stress him out, he's pretty doped up on drugs after the surgery' he replies.

He points me towards the final bay which had the curtains pulled around for privacy. I take a deep breath and walk briskly towards the bay. I'd never killed anyone before, but now the doctor was saying Carl's heart could stop at any minute I could quite literally get away with murder.

'Hello Carl,' I speak calmly, stepping inside the curtain.

Carl grins, bandages wrapped all around his throat, 'I knew you'd come y/n,' he wheezes, trying to speak.

I clench my fists, 'why did you have them call me?'

"Because you'll never be free...' he gasps.

Inching closer to the side of the bed I struggle to keep up my calm demeanour knowing Carl wanted to see me crack, 'how many others were there?'

Carl's eyes follow my every movement, 'too many to count. You were my favourite y/n. Do you want to know why?" he coughs hoarsely.

I bite my lip, 'I already know, it's because I'd always defend the other kids, but I didn't know the full truth.'

Carl sniggers, 'so naive and innocent y/n. Your boyfriends not here to kill me?'

I raise my eyebrows, 'how do you know I won't end your life?'

Carl stops sniggering, 'because y/n, you're not a killer. They'll let me out of here and the abuse will continue.'

That was the final straw. I wasn't going to let him tough another young child. There were spare pillows and blankets on the chair next to the bed, so I pick up a pillow and Carl's eyes widen realising what I was going to do next. I feel all emotion leave me as I bring the pillow down on his face and start to smother him. Carl struggles and attempts to swat the pillow away, but it was like an inner strength surged inside me and no one was going to overpower me.

'y/n, he's dead,' Zak's voice cuts through the silence, and I lift the pillow off of carl's non-moving body.

The heart monitors flat line and it's as if time slows down. Zak rips the pillow out of my hand and places it back on the chair, and pulls me against his chest whispering comforting words into the top of my hair. The curtains are ripped open and doctors and nurses push us aside. I had just killed a man.

'He told me without him I'm nothing, he taught me to look in his eyes and fed me lies. He used me again and again, abused me, confused me,' I cry into Zak's chest.

'I'm sorry for leaving y/n. I was trying to find a better way but every day was the same. I'm trying hard to break the numbness and it's driving me insane. But you could be my saviour, you could be just what I need.'

I pull away from his chest and look up into his usually cold eyes which were now warm. It didn't help he'd slipped back into normal Zak mode with the cap and glasses which took my breath away.

'You got me into this situation, Zak, you got me backed against a wall. Caught in a web of your creation. Once I thought about it I figured out your wicked ways, there's no doubt about it that you'd sell your soul for one more kill,' I pause, and he doesn't respond knowing I had more to say,

'you're dangerous. Now, look what you've done to me. you've got a murderous mind, your motive is to plant a seed and now I'd kill for you Zak,' I finish, not quite sure how Zak would react to my little rant.

Zak brings his hand up and traces his fingers across my cheek until he reaches my lips, 'I guess we're both fucked up y/n. I had no emotion and then you came along, and you had a lot of emotion but now you're emotionless like me. I came here to kill Carl for you—"

and I came here to kill Carl for you, so you could come back to the show and museum without constantly having to look over your shoulder paranoid" I reply, whispering as doctors attempted to work on Carl behind us.

Zak chuckles leans down and captures my lips with his making me feel all warm inside.

'Err excuse me y/n,' Dr Morgan taps me on the shoulder, breaking up the kiss.

I turn around to face him and Zak wraps his arms around my waist, 'what happened doctor?' I fake pain in my voice.

Dr Morgan sighs, 'I'm sorry for your loss.'

'Thank you, Doctor,' Zak answers for me.

I wait until he walks away to let out the breath I'd been holding, 'I'm finally free.'

Zak squeezes me, 'you're free y/n, but what about the other kids?"

'Then we free them Joel one way or another, either by killing or setting them up,' I reply, knowing I could justify Carl's death for the greater good. Though a break from killing would work wonders for Zak's mental and physical health, it might be hard to convince him to give up his killing ways fully.

Zak kisses the top of my head, 'looks like we have work to do my little serial killer in training. We're going to have so much fun,' he says giddily, and I knew I had an uphill battle on my hands.

I smile and lean more into his embrace, Zak Bagans was MY psycho killer.