Licorice x Reader

Intrigue

Requested by Just_a_Kat_Cat

-

"...78."

They concluded, having completed the task they had been given. Which, word for word, was: "Count the pebbles within the first three square metres of the courtyard from the east side".

Now, they were aware that it didn't make any sense. But it was an order.

They were suddenly grateful that the courtyard wasn't laced with gravel. They glanced up to to the window of the adjacent tower. And there he was.

Licorice didn't get to give out orders often. He was only ever allowed to tell Mushroom what to do, and that one was a bit of a lost cause- but then, there was them.

They weren't a new recruit by any means. They've been serving the Enchantress for just about as long as he has. As a matter of fact, they ranked higher than him- but they were blindly obedient.

And that is why they were in the Enchantress' favour. When someone said jump, they didn't even ask how high- they just did it. And by the Tree, they did it well.

Though the team had to learn that while this was a valuable attribute, it was also their glaring mortal flaw.

Exhibit A: When an enemy soldier yelled Drop Your Weapons... and they did.

Which they immediately picked back up when Pomegranate told them to. All the while, their expression remained blank. Like they were just a puppet.

Now, while they had the silent demeanor of Dark Choco, they certainly weren't an absolute rock like him- if anything they were the light in the room most of the time. Except...

One second they would be smiling and laughing at something he said, and the other the light from their eyes simply vanishes, and they make a beeline to do whatever they've been told to do by someone else from across the room. Like flipping a switch.

Whether this quirk was baked into them, or forced into them, he didn't know.

What he did know, as he watched them arrange the pebbles they'd just counted into a little pile, that he has been thinking about them for ten minutes straight and he should stop.

A dark hue settled on his face as he whipped his head away from the window.

That cookie was an enigma. There was just no explanation to why they worked the way they did- after all, they'd all made sure just about a hundred times that they were loyal to to Her Grace, and without a doubt they were, but a child could go up to them and command them to jump off the nearest tower- and they'd actually do it!

The thought of that alone made him flinch. They were the assassin. Those the Enchantress sent them to get rid of were never seen again- but it never occurred to him just how easy they actually were to kill! One day they could send them on a mission and they'd never return because some pick-me-girl yelled at them to stop and they'd be made an open target-

"Hey, I counted the ro--"

"AA--"

Licorice shrieked as the one occupying his thoughts again appeared at the window. The crazy bitch scaled the tower.

"...I counted the rocks...?"

"...You are aware I said that as a joke, right?"

"...ah."

They blanked for a second before casually climbing into the room. His room- ah, there goes his blush again.

"Well, there's 78."

They hooked a finger into his collar and dropped a pebble down his cloak.

"Minus one."

"Hey-!"