Chapter 2

I was inside a familiar room. It was so familiar. Nakatatak na sa isip ko ang bawat sulok, ang bawat mga gamit na nandoon na kahit yata nakapikit ako ay alam na alam ko kung saan nakapwesto ang lahat. I knew every part of this room like the back of my hand.

It was the only time like this that I wished I didn't have a sharp mind. This was then that I wished my mind wasn't trained to remember every detail with just two or three glances. Or at least I could take it out of my memory and forget. Kahit man lang 'yung detalye ng kwarto.

It was torture. The pain was even more excruciating like this.

I was having another nightmare. But I couldn't do anything to wake myself up. Nakatayo lang ako roon, as if everything was happening again.

I couldn't even make myself move when I saw Angela come out of the kitchen. I stared at her. Halo-halo ang mga nararamdaman ko. I was relieved to see her face again. Because I fucking miss her so damn much that this nightmare was enough for me if I could see her face once more. If I could see her again. Kahit masakit. Kahit ito pa 'yung araw na nagsimulang maging bangungot ang mga sumunod pang araw sa buhay ko.

It was okay. At least I could see her again.

"A-angela..."

She started to walk towards me. Nanlabo ang mga paningin ko habang hinihintay s'yang makalapit sa 'kin. It was fucking agonizing watching her doing her best just to get near me.

I remember how foolish I was back then. I felt relieved seeing her, I felt happy, not knowing what happened before this. Not knowing that I was already too late.

It must've been extremely painful for her to walk. I saw it clearly on her face. But I could also see the determination in her eyes. She wanted to come near me even if the pain almost killed her.

Tears fell from my eyes the moment I caught her, preventing her from falling. But I couldn't feel anything from her. I couldn't feel her warmth. She was cold. And I knew that even though I could at least see her like this, I would never feel the warmth of her body again.

Because the truth was, she was gone. She was dead. Sa ganitong paraan ko na lang ulit s'ya makikita.

Sinubukan n'yang ilapit ang bibig sa tenga ko. Nagsisikip ang dibdib ko sa sakit at hindi ko na pinag-aksayahan ng panahong punasan ang mga luhang tumutulo mula sa mga mata ko.

"I love you..."

And then I heard them. Those gunshots. Those six deafening gunshots.

Napabalikwas ako ng bangon. For a moment, I was disoriented. Ang akala ko ay naririnig ko pa rin ang mga putok ng baril na muntik ko pang takpan ang mga tenga ko dahil halos mabingi ako roon. Pero nang mas pakinggan ko ang tunog, it was actually the alarm from my bedside table.

I looked at it and reached out to stop the alarm. When the sound stopped, I stared at the date showing on the digital clock.

December 8.

I sighed.

"Of course, love... I did not forget."

I heaved another deep breath. The beating of my heart was so fast that it was actually painful. Napansin ko ring halos maligo na ako sa sarili kong pawis kahit nakatodo ang lamig ng aircon sa kwarto ko.

I raked my fingers on my hair. It was also damped with sweat. Ilang sandali akong nanatiling nakaupo lang sa kama bago tuluyang tumayo.

Lumabas ako ng kwarto at agad na dumiretso sa mini bar. I took the alcohol bottle and poured a glass half. I drank it straight. Napangiwi ako sa init na dumaan sa lalamunan ko pababa hanggang sikumura.