Chapter 17

"...er! ... na! Huy!"

Still with my eyes closed, I frowned. I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it. But I could feel I wasn't alone in the room. I heard a voice. I still couldn't make it out as I was disoriented from sleep.

Then, someone was shaking my body, as if trying to wake me up. Then I heard that voice again, still, I couldn't understand the words.

"... na! Aba!"

I groaned when someone shook me again. I felt a hand on my arm, shaking me harder this time. Mas lumalim ang pagkakakunot ng noo ko at kahit na hirap, sinubukan kong idilat ang mga mata ko dahil may palagay akong hindi titigil ang sinumang iyon hangga't hindi ako nagigising.

My vision was blurry at first. I was blinded by lights, by the sunlight coming through from the glass wall as the curtain was already drawn to the side. I closed my eyes again as it felt hurt by the brightness before I opened them again. It took me a while before my vision finally cleared.

And the first thing I saw was a beautiful woman looking down at me, so beautiful she almost looked like an angel. She smiled as soon as she saw that I was finally awake.

"Sa wakas! Gising na rin ang mahal na hari!"

I couldn't move. I feel like I was in a dream. Nanatili lang akong nakatitig sa kanya. Her lips stretched into a wide smile. And because she was looking down at me as I still lay on the bed unmoving, her long black hair beautifully fell on either side of her head. She tried to tuck the strands behind her ears but because it was soft and silky, muli lang iyon nahulog sa magkabilang gilid ng mukha n'ya. I watched as she just laughed it off.

My heart swells with so many emotions. Pakiramdam ko, hindi na ako humihinga habang nakatitig sa napakagandang tanawin sa harapan ko. Ni ayoko ngang gumalaw. Fuck, I longed to have mornings as wonderful as this. And now, it was given to me. Again. Finally.

"Angela..."

Mas lalong lumawak ang ngiti n'ya. The brightness of the sunlight outside was nothing compared to her smile that lit up my dark world.

"Bangon na, Lester. Maghahain na ako ng almusal natin."

She stood up straight after that. Hindi pa rin ako gumagalaw. Hindi pa rin ako gumalaw kahit na nang marinig ko ang mga yabang n'ya palabas ng kwarto ko. And even when she closed the door behind her, I still didn't move.

I remained lying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Ang bilis-bilis ng tibok ng puso ko na pakiramdam ko, sasabog na iyon. I gulped down the emotion I was feeling. But I failed when I felt my eyes warm with unshed tears.

I gritted my teeth. I willed myself to get out of bed. Napatingin ako sa nakasaradong pinto ng kwarto ko. I could hear movements from the outside, plates clanging, and the sounds of the utensils as she put them down on the table. I could smell the scent of the coffee that I knew she prepared for me.

Hindi ko alam kung paano ko nakayanan ang bumangon. Ang tumayo nang hindi bumibigay ang mga tuhod ko kahit na napakaraming mga emosyon ang bumabaha ngayon sa dibdib ko. It hurts like fucking hell but I didn't mind. I knew it would hurt more if I found out there was nothing outside if I opened the door of my bedroom.

Slowly, I walked towards the door. I focused on the sounds and the scent coming from the outside. I was praying so hard that it wouldn't disappear. Sa nanginginig na kamay ay inabot ko ang doorknob at pinihit iyon bago binuksan ang pinto.

The sounds continued. I could still smell the coffee lingering in the air of my entire unit.

Tuluyan na akong lumabas ng kwarto. Nakita ko si Angela. She was busy setting up the table. But as soon as she spotted me, she stopped for a while and smiled at me.