Chapter 7

I started training Zrain when I figured that the kid was ready and could take anything I will teach him. I didn't want to take Zrain's childhood away from him. He was a child and I wanted him to enjoy being a child. Isa sa mga bagay na hindi namin nagawa noon.

I was worried at first, afraid that I might ruin his childhood with the training. Just like what the game did to us. Especially since the child rarely shows his emotions, I remembered that Creed was like that before he met Fatima.

It worried me that I might become like the gamemaster for Zrain. Taking away everything, our childhood, our happiness, and our safety while slowly ruining our lives. At kahit ngayong tapos na ang laro ay parang hindi pa rin kami makawala sa naging epekto sa amin ng laro.

I didn't want to be like the gamemaster. I never want to be a monster.

Thankfully, Zrain has a soft spot for his family. And... he seemed to love music as well.

"Tito Lucius, listen to this. I can already play this part."

Zrain looked excited. His fingers were already in place for the first chord. I smiled as I sat beside him.

Katatapos lang ng training n'ya at ang gitara agad ang kinuha ng bata. Pawisan pa nga at hindi na nag-abalang magpunas. He seemed like he was planning to show me what he learned with his guitar. Maybe that was why Zrain seemed more obedient that day during the training. Gustong matapos pala kaagad para maipakita at maiparinig sa 'kin ang natutunan n'ya sa paggigitara.

Zrain started strumming his guitar. Saglit kong pinakinggan muna ang tinutugtog n'ya bago ko nalaman ang kanta. I knew the song he was playing. I recognized it even though Zrain still couldn't play it flawlessly. May ilang beses na napapatigil sa tuwing nagpapalit ng chords. Mukhang hindi pa sanay at hindi pa kabisado ang tamang pwesto ng mga daliri. His little fingers were having a hard time reaching the right places on the fretboard.

But I was still able to recognize the song he was playing. And it seemed like it was only the intro he could manage to play. Still, Zrain looked at me after he played the part. His face was void with emotion but his blue eyes said it all. There was a glint in his eyes telling me that he's proud and he even looked smug.

I chuckled. Zrain's expression looked very innocent and childlike. And I was glad to see that expression in him.

"Wow... That's great, Zrain. You improved a lot since the last time."

Kumuha ako ng hand towel at pinunasan ang mukha n'yang basa pa rin ng pawis bago ang likod n'ya naman ang pinunasan ko. Baka kasi matuyuan ng pawis at magkasakit. Helios might kill me.

"I did?" Zrain sounded excited. My smile widened before I nodded.

"Yeah... You couldn't play a single chord before. Pero ngayon kaya mo nang tumugtog ng intro ng isang kanta. And soon, you'll be able to play the whole song." I ruffled his hair. "Madali ka namang turuan, Zrain. You're a fast learner."

It was true. Madaling turuan ang bata kaya hindi ako nahihirapan sa pag-train sa kanya. Nagmana yata kay Helios who's smart. And to Zuri as well. Naaalala kong si Zuri lang ang tumagal na secretary ni Helios dahil maayos ang pagtatrabaho n'ya at madaling sumunod sa instructions.

I think Zrain inherited those traits from his parents. Isang beses ko pa lang kasi naituturo ang mga moves, nakukuha na agad ng bata. Kaya kung minsan, mas maagang natatapos ang training n'ya at ang natitirang oras ay ginugugol na sa paggigitara.

And it made me glad. I was so glad that Zrain seemed like he was enjoying himself. With his training and his love for music. Kahit pa hindi iyon madalas na nagpapakita sa mukha ng bata.