VI. Moon Rider (Pt. 2 of 2)

The Screaming Eagle was one of fourteen bars on Luna that claimed to be built on the sight of humanity's first steps on her surface. Personally, I doubted any one of the bars was close to the now mythic location, but as I pushed through the vintage swinging doors past the airlock, I couldn't help but feel a rush of nostalgia.

It was better than feeling nauseous, at least. The Screaming Eagle was a dive in every sense of the word, though not for a lack of trying by its timid owner. I gave Lo Wen a polite nod as I stalked up to the expansive counter, and his patchy beard broke into a smile as I set my helmet on the nearby rack.

"Ah! Miss Jackson! Good to see you again!" Lo said in a peppy tone before leaning in and whispering in a low voice. "[Arnold and his men are in a pretty bad mood; I'd find someplace else to drink tonight if I were you.]"

I blinked as I leaned in too, prepping my reply as best I could. I'd been taught five languages on Mars, but the subtleties of Mandarin still eluded me.

"[Thank you. But I am here to fight him. Do not worry.]"

Like the good teacher he was, Lo nodded at my clipped sentences as he leaned back. But like a good friend, he was just as quick to express his doubts.

"They brought something with them to the crater 'round the back. Something big. I know you've beaten Arnold many times before, but this time I think he might actually be trying to kill you. No amount of pride is worth losing your life over."

I picked at the cracked wood of the counter, but I didn't respond, and Lo breathed out before asking if I wanted the usual. For once, I declined, not just because I'd need a clear head tonight, but because drinking had already lost much of its charm to me. I did it because it was a habit now, not because I enjoyed it. In fact, I couldn't even remember the last time I had enjoyed drinking, a thought I spoke aloud to Lo.

"Two months ago." Lo said as a conspiratorial smile spreading up his face. "You were drinking with that cowboy you work with. I'd never seen you so happy."

He waggled his thinning eyebrows at me, but I pursed my lips.

"We're not like that, Lo." I said sullenly. "Tex is a friend... well, an acquaintance."

Lo gave a "hm" noise as he began wiping down the counter, his smile growing wider with each pass. I hunched my back, and my face burned more and more as I drummed my fingers on the wood, and soon I couldn't take it anymore.

"I don't love Tex, okay?! I don't even like him, he's an annoyance!"

"The stronger the denial, the stronger the feelings behind them, Miss Jackson." Lo said mysteriously as he inspected his work. I huffed.

"Ancient Chinese proverb?" I asked sarcastically. Lo shot me a grin.

"No, just common sense." he said as he nodded towards the door. "Hope you have enough of that to go around tonight, because I don't think they will."

I looked over my shoulder to find Arnold and his goons glaring at me from the entrance, and I stood in silence. Tonight of all nights held a crackle of electricity in the air; no one needed to say it, but this time was for keeps.

"Ready to do or die, Whitless?" Arnold said as his buddies chuckled.

"Only if you're prepared to suffer humiliation again." I shot back. "Remember, this time is for all the chips. I survive two minutes and you back off for good. And I mean business this time, so you better keep your word."