Prologue

Run. Hide. Feed. Ever since we've escaped the Emperor's castle, that's all we've ever known. There were six of us all together, yet only four of us escaped.

Breathing heavily, the four basilisks took shelter under a ledge, out of sight of the Emperor's coven above. The leader turned to us. "We have to split up. There'll be less of a chance they'll track us down." She stated.
I turned to my sister, No.V, eyes wide as I realised what this meant. I hugged her tight. "I don't want to let you go." I whimpered. No.V hugged back, as tears of her own welled in her eyes. "I don't either, VI. But we have no choice. It's ok though, we'll be able to see each other again, right?" She said. I nodded, wiping my eyes as I let her go.
Hearing the coven getting closer, we glanced around. The other basilisks had left already, leaving only the two of us. Staring at each other one last time, we parted, heading in different directions.

Panting for breath, VI stopped, leaning on a tree fro support. She'd been running for what felt like hours, not daring to look back in fear that the coven was behind her.

She glanced up, noticing a large building. The words "Hexside School of Magic and Demonics"
Eyes widening in wonder, she slid toward it, making her way inside.

My name is Hazel. I'm a humanoid basilisk, a freak of my own kind. I don't know how it happened, but it seemed like the Emperor's coven decided to mess around with my genes while I was still being created. Half witch, half demon. A powerless, shapeshifting monster. Even my shapeshifting is limited, since I can't change fully like other basilisks. There will always be a feature from my original form. Fangs, eyes, freckles, whatever it may be. Yet, the basilisks accepted me as one of their own, even if we lived in cages our entire lives.
Now, I hide amongst the students of Hexside, hoping that the Emperor's Coven doesn't find me.