Chapter 30: Suffer in Silence

A/N: Sorry this particular chapter took a while to publish. It's really short, but that's only because I've been writing future dialogue for the story. I feel this chapter is just a cute little scenario I wanted to introduce just for a calm moment between everyone. I'll be posting the next chapter soon. I've dedicated this chapter to 'Reaching For Something' by grayera, Drew The Architect. I hope you all enjoy the chapter even though it's fairly short. Stay safe everyone and I'll talk to you again soon! <3333333

Seeing the dynamic between Ana and Shorter all evening was quite a sight to see. Ash and yourself were the only ones who really caught on to their obvious affectionate behavior. You felt that it was entertaining how they tried to hide it from everyone. Ana would notice you giving her looks of approval that said 'I know you like him'. It warmed your heart to see her so happy, as you knew that Ash felt the same way when it came to Shorter. It had become quite late and you spent most of your time only really giving your attention to Theodore. He appeared unbothered by the distance, causing you to undergo more notions of guilt. Departing with him again felt as if your heart would be ripped to shreds the moment you would exit Ana's apartment with Ash. Nonetheless, he was content; but more importantly, he was safe with such amazingly selfless, caring people.
  "Dinner was amazing, Shorter. Thank you so much." You expressed. Ash nodded in agreement.
  "It's nice to have a guy around that cooks so well." Ana revealed, making you widen your eyes with an amused smile on your face. Ash lifted his head, intrigued with the details. He looked over at Shorter, who was nervously clearing his throat.
  "Is that right?" You wondered, teasing the both of them. Ana let out an embarrassed laugh.
  "Somewhat, I guess." Shorter averted his eyes while he spoke. You covered your mouth to stifle a giggle.
  "You guess, huh? Well, I'm just really glad to see that you're both getting along. The rest is none of our business unless you make it our business, right?" You disclosed, completely in support of whatever type of relationship Shorter and Ana had. The two of them enjoying each other's company was all that mattered to you. Shorter nodded while Ana tried to hide a slight blush across her face. You walked over to hug her.
  "It's okay, don't be embarrassed. I really am delighted to know that you're doing well. You look really happy. Thank you so much for everything, Ana. I love you very much." You stated almost in a whisper as you rested your chin at Ana's neck so she could hear you. She nodded against you, tightening the embrace for a few seconds before the both of you released each other.
  "I'm more than willing to help you. Having the company around is definitely not a burden, so don't think that it is. You've both blessed me with meeting two amazing people. Not to mention that I get to see Theodore every day. I'll do this as long as you need me to with no questions asked, Y/N." Ana responded with utmost honesty. You nodded, walking over to hug Theodore before you and Ash left.
  "I love you so very very much my little munchkin." You embraced Theodore, hesitant to let him go. It was obvious that it would all be temporary, but it still hurt the same regardless of that knowledge.
  "I love you too, Mama." Theodore exclaimed, making your heart swell.
"Have fun with Eiji and Shorter. I will see you again soon, baby." You encouraged. Theodore nodded in response.
"I will, don't worry. I'm having a good time here with everyone." Theodore reassured you of your worries that you were putting him in an unfair situation. He wanted you to be made aware that he wasn't resentful over it. Ash gave Shorter and Eiji a quick embrace before he and you left Ana's apartment.
"Goodbye, we'll come back soon." You informed.
"Be safe getting back home, you two." Ana spoke worriedly. You and Ash both nodded.

The taxi drive back to your apartment with Ash was rather silent. Too silent for your liking. You knew he wasn't angry or even anxious. He must have had a lot on his mind. Watching the late night city lights from the taxi window was so surreal. You still couldn't believe you lived in such a huge, energetic city. Ash was looking out his window as well, though, you knew that he was absentmindedly staring, not paying a single mind to the beauty of the city. It was the place where he experienced all of his abuse and hardships; unable to escape.
While you understood that you were helping him become free after all the time that had passed, it was impossible not to feel helpless at the same time. It was obvious that nothing you were doing for him would just happen or be made better at the flick of a switch, yet, you couldn't stop yourself from feeling awful.
"This is our stop." You revealed to the taxi driver. He pulled off the the side in front of you shared apartment with Ash. You handed the taxi driver the money owed from the drive and stepped out of the vehicle to head inside. Ash was noticeably in deep thought. His expression was blank, leaving you to be incapable of reading what he may have been feeling. You couldn't even make a simple guess as to what was eating at him; though, you let him be with his own thoughts.
  With everything going on, it was clear how much he had to think about. After walking into the apartment, Ash immediately headed off to his room. Not too long after he shut his door, you heard his shower turn on. The quiet time alone pushed you to continue your work on the ongoing assignment.

Ash didn't spend too long in the shower, but he still stayed in his room for nearly an hour. He came out, looking like his original self. He removed the contacts and set them on the kitchen counter in their liquid solution. You were too focused on your paperwork to really observe Ash, but you knew what he was doing. He began to head back to his bedroom before turning back around to look at you.
"What did you mean by compensation?" Ash asked from the doorway of his bedroom. You looked over at him with a confused visage. You had your reading glasses on as you gazed at him. The only light in the room was from the lamp on the stand next to the couch that you were seated at. Ash purposely walked through the darkness of the living room without switching the lights on so he wouldn't disturb you. Walking through the dark wasn't exactly a challenge for Ash. You set your papers down at the coffee table in front of you. You removed your glasses to view him better.
"What?" You asked, not understand the question. He could tell you didn't remember what happened earlier in the day.
"When you slipped this in my pocket." Ash walked forward with the same five dollar bill you gave him resting between the index and middle finger of his left hand. His hair was still quite damp from his shower. He ran his right hand through the moistened strands that stuck to his forehead.
"That was just a joke." You laughed, assuming he was only poking fun. He walked closer, letting his weight fall next to you on the couch. In that moment you knew he was dead serious.
"Do you think I'm suffering from having you around me?" Ash uttered sternly, staring directly at you with blunt eyes. Your face became contorted with distress, soon averting your eyes from Ash. He caught you. He sighed with anxiousness.
"From the moment I met you, you've made me realize just how precious my life is. You've given me hope." Ash divulged with no hold's bar. A slight gasp left your mouth. He inched even closer towards you.
"You fight for me so much to the point where I actually get to know what getting justice feels like. I'll spend the rest of my life paying you back for allowing me to experience that feeling, Y/N." Ash's words brought tears to your eyes. You had no words to muster up for him. So instead, you grabbed him and pulled him against you. In that moment, it was all you could do. A few minutes rolled by with the both of you basking in the gentle silence of the apartment.
  "You don't have to pay me back for anything. As long as I have you, that's all I'll ever need." You replied finally, sighing as you looked over at Ash. He was staring at you so beautifully that you never wanted him to look anywhere else. You swore that your chest felt like it would implode if he looked at you any longer. Though, you refused to avert your own gaze despite the intense feeling in your body.