Chapter Forty Nine.

"How come I'm the only one who ever seems to get in my way?
Lately I've been fucking up a good thing any chance I can get..."

✧✧✧

"Any good boxing sessions lately?"

Evelyn's eyes widened as she heard Tristan start to choke on his drink when Spencer asked the question, looking between them like they were crazy as they all sat at the lunch table.

"As it turns out, boxing really isn't my thing," Evelyn said in a tight voice.

Tristan cocked his head to the side, his lips lifting in a smile. "I beg to differ."

Evelyn blinked. "What?"

"You're a natural," he said. "I've never been in more pain leaving the ring."

"Jesus, dude, what did she do?" Spencer asked, pulling a face.

"I gave him a purple nurple," she blurted.

"A purple nurple?" Spencer repeated.

"Yes, yep, yeah," she lied with a nod of her head. "You know, a titty twister, a purple nurple, a nipple cripple."

Spencer looked aghast, but Tristan had started to laugh, trying to cover it with his fist, only the laughter subsided as he met her eyes, his eyes darkening in the way she'd noticed they did every time he was thinking about her, in a very non-friend sort of way.

Evelyn was going insane.

Of course, insane had a loose definition considering the fact that no one was fully sane in the first place, but she'd always liked to think she was half-sane. Lately, though, she was going absolutely insane.

Bonkers.

Bananas.

Ape-shit.

Insane.

She was going insane because being just friends was impossible, but she still couldn't get herself to take the leap to be more, because the broken trust between them seemed to stand in her way, like a hurdle too high to jump over.

As she dragged her eyes away from Tristan's, she caught the back of Tanya's head as she walked towards the restroom. Evelyn hesitated, wondering whether it was the right move, before saying she'd be right back and standing up, heading in the same direction.

Evelyn took a deep breath as she opened the bathroom door, realizing no one was in it besides her and Tanya. She twisted the lock so they were locked in together and Tanya must've heard the click, because she stepped out of her stall.

It was then that Evelyn noticed just how tired she looked, like she'd been run ragged and then some. Evelyn frowned.

"What do you want?" Tanya hissed.

"Do you love Tristan?" she asked, holding her breath as she decided to come right out and say it.

Tanya glared at her. "If you're looking for some sort of validation from me, you won't get it. He already chose you."

"I'm not, I just..." she continued, sighing quietly. "I just don't understand your guys' relationship."

"Then that makes two of us," she said with a hollow laugh. "One second, he's following me around like a lost puppy and the next, he's telling me I'm a mistake."

"I'm sorry," Evelyn said, her eyebrows knitting together as she realized it must have been just as confusing for Tanya, if her feelings for Tristan were real.