Chapter 1: Second Guessing

After accepting Nathan's help, Cassie walked through the streets of Dallas next to the boy she just met as he held his umbrella over their heads to cover them from the rain. Cassie didn't even recognize her surroundings but by the looks of it, she knew they were now walking inside a wealthy residential area judging by the homes in it.

The houses around her were much different than what Cassie was used to. After all, she spent most of her childhood living in a big city, confined to the Academy, and the rest of her life trying to survive in the apocalypse. Cassie also spent a few years living here and there with Five through the timeline because of her job with the Commission, but she really wouldn't consider that stage of her life living because it felt like her life was owned by the Commission.

The truth was that Cassie never had a real home. She knew that she was never wanted since the day she was born. Cassie couldn't remember much about her biological mother except for the trauma she was put through because of how neglected she was as a little kid. The little things she remembered were that her mom was very young when she had her so suddenly. She wasn't ready to be a mom at all, but for some reason decided to keep her.

Cassie learned by reading Vanya's book in the apocalypse that there were other 43 babies born the same day as her under the same circumstances. She also learned that Sir. Reginald Hargreeves approached almost all of the mothers offering them money in exchange for the children and that's how he got Luther, Diego, Allison, Klaus, Five, Ben, Vanya, and later on her.

But something that she didn't understand was why her biological mother didn't give her away the first time Reginald approached her with an offer. Maybe her mother thought that by having a baby and raising her with the man Cassie once called 'father' might strengthen her relationship with him but at the end of the day that turned out to be a huge mistake.

"So... we've arrived." Nathan said as he stopped walking and stood in front of a very fancy-looking house.

"Huh?" Cassie said snapping out of her own thoughts as Nathan's words caught her completely off guard.

"This is my house." Nathan said this time rephrasing what he said and looked down at the girl who was standing next to him.

As Cassie turned to look at the house she instantly became amazed by how beautiful the infrastructure was. The style was very classic almost similar to the Academy but instead of it being a building it looked more like an actual home. It looked a lot bigger compared to the other houses in the neighborhood but Cassie knew that it probably wouldn't compare to the 42 bedrooms the academy had.

"You live here?" The girl said still staring at the house almost in disbelief.

"Well... It's my parent's house, not really mine." Nathan said nervously. "Are there houses like this where you're from?" He asked the girl trying to change the subject.

Nathan could tell by Cassie's face that she had figured out his family was very wealthy already. Which was something he really didn't like to talk about because he knew that once people realized his family was one of the richest in Dallas they started to treat him differently. After all, his father was one of the most well-known businessmen in the country since he inherited his own father's oil extraction company and had managed to exploit it to the maximum making him extremely rich.

"This is a lot different... in the city, houses don't have this much greenery and are all next to each other. This is a lot nicer." Cassie replied honestly and looked up at Nathan.

"So you're from the city?" Nathan asked curiously.

"Well I lived there for some time... it's a little complicated." Cassie said awkwardly not knowing how to explain where she is from in a way that won't confuse Nathan out and make him think that she is crazy.