Chapter 3: New Experiences

The next day Cassie woke up early in the morning after her body gave out from exhaustion. The girl didn't remember falling asleep, all she knew was that in one moment she was laying down thinking about Five and in the other everything turned dark and she was in a deep slumber.

Deep down, Cassie was hoping that everything that had happened in the last 24 hours was a really bad dream. But unfortunately, when she woke up in a bedroom that wasn't her own, reality hit her like a brick. 

Cassie sat down in bed and looked around the room that Nathan and his family had very generously agreed to let her stay in for the time being. The girl had no idea what time it was but judging by the amount of light outside she could tell it was somewhere around 7 am and 9 am.

Suddenly, the girl heard a soft knock on her door and she quickly stood up from bed to check who was knocking. Once Cassie opened the door she saw Nathan standing outside holding her Umbrella Academy uniform, but this time it was clean and dry from the previous day.

"Good morning... Did I wake you up?" Nathan said looking over at Cassie but didn't walk into the room.

"Hey..." Cassie said softly and looked back at Nathan shaking her head. "No, you didn't. I woke up 10 minutes ago. I think." The girl replied to the boy's question.

"Oh, I'm glad." Nathan said relieved that she didn't interrupt Cassie's sleep. "Here are your clothes from yesterday. They're clean so you don't have to worry about that." He said handing the girl her clothes

"Thanks... you didn't have to." Cassie said giving Nathan a small smile.

"Well, I didn't do much. I just gave them to Ruth who is our housekeeper so she could get them cleaned. If you're going to thank someone you should thank her." Nathan said feeling bad for taking all the credit for it. After all, Ruth was almost like a second mother to him.

"Then I'll make sure to thank her later." Cassie said gratefully as she held her clothes close to her.

Nathan looked over at Cassie with a smile on his face almost forgetting the main reason why he had knocked on her door. "I almost forgot. Breakfast will be ready in 30 minutes." He said scratching the back of his neck nervously.

"Oh, okay. Then I better get dressed for that." Cassie said awkwardly as she looked around.

"Yeah. I'll leave you to it." Nathan said quietly as Cassie nodded her head slowly and closed the door of her room to get ready for the day.

—————=+=—————

After taking a warm shower and putting on the only clothes she owned, Cassie made her way downstairs following Nathan who just led the way. Nathan had previously told Cassie that they would be having breakfast at the dining table with his parents which were something they did together every weekend as a family.

Even though at some point in her life Cassie got used to sharing every meal she had in 'family' with the rest of the Academy, she was still nervous about having to share the table with Nathan's parents. The truth was that the girl was nervous because she knew that no matter what they asked, she would most likely have to lie to them. And so far Nathan and his mom had proven to be kind people who just want to help her.

All things considered, Cassie knew that she had done far worse in her lifetime than lying to some family about who she really is. After all, behind that good girl facade hid a highly trained cold-blood assassin. It basically ran through her blood after what the commission did to her and Five.

The girl could murder someone if necessary and she probably wouldn't budge since over the years she had become numb to the act. She didn't even remember how many people she had killed in the past few years while working at the commission. But at the end of the day, she knew that it was never personal and that she wouldn't have done it if her job didn't consist of it.