Chapter 2: Have you forgotten?

It has been a few hours since Nathan told Cassie about his mom agreeing on her stay. Even though Nathan assured her that everything would be fine, she still felt anxious because she knew that his father was the one who had to make the final decision. After all, she hasn't had the best experiences with paternal figures in her life.

As Cassie took a shower to get out of her uniform and change into clothes that weren't wet from the rain. She tried to convince herself that all of this would last only a few days, but for that to be the case she needed to find Five and the rest of the Academy and somehow get back to where they belong. She knew that they would have to deal with the apocalypse all over again but at least this time they knew that Vanya was the cause. So it shouldn't be that hard.

After getting out of the shower Cassie dried herself up and changed into a pajama set Nathan had given her after showing her the room she would be staying in at least for the night. The pajamas were a lot bigger on her but she didn't complain, after all, she figured they must be Nathan's and he was much taller than her so it was expected.

Once fully clothed and completely dry except for her hair the girl sat quietly on the large guest room bed trying to adapt to the new atmosphere, but no matter what, she felt like a stranger inside someone's house. A feeling she was very familiar with since she also felt the same way her first few weeks after moving to the Academy.

Before the Academy, Cassie lived in a very small house just outside the city. Her biological mom barely had money to cover rent so her life wasn't filled with any sort of luxury. In fact, it was very simple. So moving to the Academy was a massive change for her. She went from barely having anything to eat to live in a mansion where she would constantly get lost because of how big it was.

Anyone would think that living in a big house such as the Academy would get lonely, but for Cassie, it was the opposite. Cassie was someone who at a very young age was very familiar with feeling lonely. After all, her mom was never home and her 'dad' was always drunk and neglected her so she had gotten used to doing almost everything by herself.

Joining the Academy not only helped Cassie escape her horrible home situation but it also gave her the chance to meet 7 children her age who were similar to her that she could bond with over time. Unfortunately, that didn't last that long since only 5 years later she found herself stuck in the apocalypse with the one person in that group she didn't get along with and was convinced he despite her the most.

But over time that turned to be the complete opposite for both of them.

Cassie looked around the room taking a deep breath as she analyzed every single detail of it. The room felt a lot bigger than her room at the Academy but the girl knew that they were probably around the same in size. The walls and the decor were all a combination of soft baby blue, white and gold accents which made the room look a lot fancier. The bright color scheme of the room felt a lot different than the darker atmosphere she was used to.

Suddenly the girl heard a soft knock on the door and she turned to look at it nervously not sure of who might be. "Can I come in?" Nathan said from behind the door and Cassie instantly felt a sense of relief from hearing his voice. If it was anyone else she probably wouldn't have known what to say to them.

"Yeah..." Cassie said softly and straighten herself up as she watched how the door opened slowly.

"I brought you some food." Nathan said as he walked inside the room holding a tray with a plate and some silverware on it.

"Thanks." Cassie said and stood up from sitting on the bed giving Nathan a soft smile.

"I hope you like beef stew... If not I can ask the cook to make you something else." Nathan said placing the tray on the small round table that was on the corner of the room and pulled the chair for Cassie to sit down.