[4] The Secretary's Time Off

Y/N Pov

"I won."

"WHAT?! WHAT DID YOU GAMBLE? IS THE PRESIDENT STILL THE PRESIDENT?! WH-"

"Sayaka, calm down. Kirari's still the president of Hyakkaou. I'll send you my address, so meet me there as soon as you can, 'kay?" When I didn't get a response, I spoke again. "Sayaka, I'll tell you about the gamble if you go to my house, okay? I won't leave a single detail out." 

"Okay..." I smiled and texted her my address after ending the call. 

~~when you get home~~

I was closing the garage door when I noticed some new faces. 'New neighbors? I guess r/n (random name) really did sell the house...' I thought. 'But who would want to live in this neighborhood? Unless they're going to Hyakkaou, I don't see a reason to.' I stopped thinking when I heard yelling. It was coming from the people I've never seen before. "DEXTER WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING?!" One of the girls screeched. "Uh, because I'm watching the kid." he responded coolly. With a groan, the girl went back to lifting boxes. I subconsciously made my way over to them. "Hey..! Are you the new neighbors?" I asked a girl with green hair and tattoos. She sighed and turned to me. "Yeah, we're gonna go to Hyakkaou soon. At least that's what  dumbass said." She pointed to a man with blonde and black hair. The same one that said he was watching the 'kid.' I nodded. "I go to Hyakkaou, actually. When are you guys enrolling?" I asked. Once again, she pointed to the man, silently telling me I should just ask him. 

"See, Katie? I told you I didn't need to help! You brought that whole table in there by yourself! Haha!" He laughed before looking over to me. "Ah, what do we have here?" He leaned down to my height to get a good look at me. Smiling, he straightened himself and extended his hand to me. "I'm Dexter Ryuku! These are my siblings and yes, I know we look nothing alike. Anyways! Who might you be? A neighbor, perhaps?" He asked excitedly. I took his hand and introduced myself. "Y/N Saotome. I live right over there." I pointed. "And I heard you guys were enrolling at Hyakkaou Private Academy. May I ask why and when?" We released our hands and he explained that he and his family had loved the idea of the housepet system and that they wanted to continue their family legacy by gambling. "We're actually starting tomorrow! I was so excited when we got accepted, and my sister over there" he pointed to the green-haired female. "she's the best gambler in our family! We should gamble sometime soon, yeah?" I agreed and we exchanged numbers. "Great! I'll see you later N/N~!" He sang. I waved and went back to my house, patiently waiting for Sayaka. 

"Mary, we have new neighbors. They ga-" I paused when I saw her sleeping on the couch. I smiled softly as I went over to her. "Wake up, sleepyhead. We're gonna have company soon." She didn't budge. Well, not much at least. She groaned and rolled over. 

Moments later, I heard a knock on the door. I got up and opened it. "Hey, Sayaka! Mary's asleep right now." 

"Y/N you better explain what that gamble was about." She said, venom laced in her voice. "Okay, okay. Calm down for a minute and come inside. My room is up the stairs and first door on the right." When Sayaka was out of sight, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a few snacks and drinks before heading up. As I was walking, my cat, Nugget, tried his best to trip me whilst purring. "Nugget, go bother someone else..." I groaned. Thankfully, he was an obedient cat and went to my room to play with Sayaka. I pushed the door open with my foot so I didn't drop the snacks when I saw Sayaka petting Nugget. "Hey-" My voice startled her, causing her to jump slightly. "Sorry, haha. I guess Nugget likes you, huh?" I asked Sayaka looked confused as she tilted her head. "His name is Nugget." I pointed to him as it clicked in her head. 

I began explaining the gamble, saving what we bet on for last. "If I lost, I would have to join the student council and become her personal housepet. If I won, which I did, she would allow me to gamble the whole student council and I get to borrow you for a week-" 

"YOU GAMBLED OVER ME?!" Sayaka was clearly angry, but I understand why. "Well when you put it bluntly like that, it sounds worse than what it really is. I get you for a week, and during that time, I want you to take a break since you're always working. That gamble was the only way I could get you to take a break." Her brows furrowed in frustration as Mary walked in.

"Could you keep it down? I wanna sleep." Nugget happily pranced over to her and meowed as Mary picked him up before exiting. At the same time, my other cat, Fry, waltzed in and made himself comfortable on my lap. "This is Fry, Nugget's brother." Sayaka was very confused and concerned. "Y'know, nuggets and fries? Nugget and Fry?" Her mouth formed an 'o' shape as she fixed her expression. "You can pick what we watch or play, I guess." I tossed her the remote to my tv and a(n) PlayStation/Xbox (you can pick) controller. 

"Why are you doing this..?" She hesitantly asked me. "Doing what?"

"Allowing me some free-time away from paperwork."

"Because you're a hard worker. Kirari's told me all about you and the student council. About how hardworking you are, your observations in other people's behaviour, and the list goes on." I turned to face her. "You deserve a break every once in a while, Saya." I smiled at her softly. 

"Thanks, Y/n... it- it means a lot to me... That someone cares about my well-being..." A light blush dusted her cheeks as she smiled back at me before choosing to play video games with me. 

Words: 1120

Unedited

----------------

sorry for the late chapter lmao. My schoolwork piled up and when I finally had the time to type, i erased this and like, three other drafts for this story just to re-write them. I overthink a lot, but it's nice to see people actually take the time to read this crap :) hopefully, i'll have another chapter out soon. Here's Nugget and Fry. (fry on the left // nugget on the right.) Image not mine. Thanks for reading ~

 Thanks for reading ~