Chapter Six

D.R. Hurley

Six

Leos slipped passed the remaining guards stationed on the ground floor without any trouble, since their attention was focused solely on catching the prisoner running amuck on the upper levels. And yet, if they had bothered to look twice at the suspicious bare footed guard, whose uniform was clearly too small, then things might have turned out differently.

His trip down the metal shute ended with him crashing into a large pile of soiled uniforms, where he was then able to escape.

Leos quietly made his way towards the building's unguarded exit and disappeared into the night when it was safe to do so. Moving silently amongst the dark, he quickly began to put as much distance between himself and the enforcer building as possible, keeping his presence confined to the shadows wherever he could. He was sure the guards would increase their search to the surrounding area and had to keep moving.

Rain fell hard in a steady sheet from the heavens. Leos caught sight of twin moons nestled high amidst the clouded sky, lighting his way. The silver glow radiating from their crescent façade picked out the gothic looking buildings he ran though.

Steeply pitched roofs studded with gargoyles cut sharply into the night. Their leering faces seemed to glare down on him with mocking glee. Water spilled over slate tiles to the streets below as the deluge continued.

Most would agree that the Imperial architecture, for all its beauty, was quite menacing to behold at night, but for Leos it was a haven when compared to the grimy walled cell he had been confined to of late.

He paused briefly in the shadowy recess of a street corner to ponder his next move, spotting a nearby wagon across the way. The streets were empty, so he ran over and tried the coachman's door. Luckily it was open.

He reached in grabbed the closest thing to hand; a heavy overcoat lay draped over the seat which he took before leaving. The garment was itchy, but fitted him well. He pulled the coat's large hood over his battered features then continued his flight into the stone town.

Keeping off the cobbled streets, Leos kept to the shadows, taking care not to be caught in the warm glow of hanging lanterns lining the streets. He slipped down alleys to avoid contact with others wherever possible, maintaining his swift pace as best he could, despite the searing pain of his stomach wound.

On he went, street after street. Cutting down one passage then another. Eventually he had to stop, his lungs burned from exhaustion and seemed to tighten as he panted heavily. The makeshift bandage tied around his waist was a hindrance to his breathing.

He took shelter under a porch while he recovered. The tiny structure offered some protection from the worst of the storm, to which he was thankful. Leos squatted against the recessed door, and drew deep breaths of moist air into his burning lungs. Amidst this brief moment of respite, his thoughts slipped back to the prison he'd just escaped, and that awful creature which had tried to attack him.

A cold shiver shot down his spine at the thought of the thing that had so easily dispatched the guards. He should be lying dead with the rest of them, but he wasn't. Something had protected him. He remembered the blinding flash of colour which deflected the creature's blow, some sort of shield or barrier he guessed? He had no idea why or even how it had happened.

His head began to ache from the endless stream of questions rolling over his troubled mind. At first, he thought it just another injury from his tussle with the guards, until it built into an excruciating level within his skull.

Leos wailed as the pain suddenly exploded in his mind with tremendous force, pinning him to the spot. He gripped his head tightly, trying to shut it out, but did nothing to comfort. Writhing on the floor, the sensation intensified and brought forth a snapshot of visions igniting within his mind that he could not shut out...