Chapter Thirty Five

D.R. Hurley

Thirty Five

'Keep fighting, we must push them back!' The defiant tones of a roaring Prefect gave strength to his soldiers as another wave of Cowldonian soldiers were repulsed from the council building.

Master Rykun looked onto the stone courtyard from the safety of a balcony. The tall columns lining its sides had stood proudly for a thousand years, and were now streaked with blood and cracked from battle. Fires raged uncontrollably across rooftops, spewing huge plumes of thick black smoke into the night.

Rykun felt his heart break to see his beloved city burn, his oval eyes glistened with moisture as he watched his people lay down their lives to protect Altrad's beauty. How did it come to this in so short a time?

A sharp call alerted him back to the remaining council members, huddled around a giant map of the capital. Their Long Fur guards stood patiently close by, tightly gripping their razor-sharp halberds.

Councillor Myer spoke first. 'Master Rykun, our defences are scattered. The enemy has divided us on two fronts, here and here. The continued bombardment of the enemy air fleet has scattered most of our forces. Pockets of resistance lie scattered around the city. Isolated and vulnerable.'

'What about our own fleet, were we able to raise it in time?' asked Rykun.

The Councillor shook his head. 'No, the swiftness of the enemy's arrival meant that most were destroyed before take-off. Even if they had all managed to launch, our numbers would have paled against the sheer mass of enemy vessels lined up against us. They must have had scores of workers building them for years.'

Rykun weighed the response. 'Anything we can do?'

'No. But oddly enough, the latest reports state the Cowldonia air fleet is pulling back, we are at a loss as to why.'

'Perhaps their commander wishes to take the fight to us personally?' pondered Rykun.

'A bold move indeed,' muttered councillor Allious, 'one that speaks of arrogance.'

'So be it then,' said Rykun, 'gather all our remaining forces, we shall meet them head on. I want a detachment of troops to sweep around from the south, picking up any bands of resistance along the way, then flank the enemy. The rest of us will hold here and form a distraction. With any luck, their leader will show himself, and then we can strike. Remove the head, and the beast will topple.'

'How do you know he'll show.' asked Councillor Berdon.

'If it is, he, I'm thinking of, there will be no doubt. Take courage, we may yet get through this-'

A blood-stained Prefect burst into the room cutting Rykun off. His chest heaved back and forth from exertion. 'A large wave approaches from the east, they will be here in moments!' he yelled fearfully.

Rykun went back to the balcony and saw a mass of troops heading up the street in support.

We're out of time.

He turned back to the group. 'Ready yourselves, we go to meet them. They must not enter the building. Long Furs, take the councillors to the upper levels and barricade the doors, protect them with your lives until the escape ship is ready.'

'But sir, you must also remain with the other members.' cried a grizzled guard.

'I am in charge of defence. My role lies with our forces. Now do as I say.' he snarled, drawing his sword.

Rykun led his soldiers quickly down to the lower levels of the complex as guards sealed the heavy oak doors of the council chamber, running out just in time to see his foe.