Chapter Thirteen

D.R. Hurley

Thirteen

The twin moons of planet Kargos nestled high amongst the night-time sky, wreathing the land in a chilling silver glow. The Fidelis chugged steadily along the Northern Hammiyan River at a comfortable pace and was on course to make port the next morning.

So far, the voyage had been pleasant, and blessed with calm waters as the vessel continued to make its way north.

Leos stared blankly into the night as he leaned against the ship's railings, much as he had done the past hour since there was little else to do aboard, and found his thoughts returning to recent events.

His confinement, the accusation of treason, his escape from prison, and that pale monster. The very thought of it sent a shiver down his spine. If only he could remember something about himself, something that might reveal his place in all this madness. He wanted to know so desperately who he was.

A brief spell of nausea struck him in that moment. Maybe it was the voyage? He felt dizzy, and shuddered as a sharp pain stung his mind. Leos gasped as a blurred mass of images erupted within his head...

...he was in a room, surrounded by people taking notes on parchment, and studying him carefully. An injured rat-man lay at his feet, writhing in a pool of its own blood. Its left arm missing, and the scent of burnt flesh weighed heavily the air.

Leos looked down to see a searing ball of lilac energy, spinning in his hand, and screamed...

His mind came back to the ship, and the lapping waters of the enormous river. A chill breeze rustled his knotted hair as his senses recovered.

Another memory? Or a vision of things to come? He wasn't sure if he really wanted to know. He was becoming frightened of all these outbursts.

The man instinctively rubbed a hand over his forearm, and looked down. The once purple marks had all but disappeared, leaving only a trace of a bruise, if one looked close enough. But his mind was still empty. Why can't he know more?

A growing concern edged into his conscious that couldn't be ignored. Perhaps his memories would never fully return, and he would remain a slave to these random images. Whatever they were.

'Feeling cold?' a young voice said from behind.

Leos didn't turn to look at the Hibernian as she approached. The air had indeed grown cooler as they'd sailed north, but he wasn't troubled by it.

'No. I was just daydreaming, that's all.' he said quietly.

Lyanna didn't seem convinced by his answer. 'You sure? I thought I'd heard a gasp.'

'I said I'm fine.' he replied sternly, but then quickly apologised for his tone. It wasn't her fault he was confused.

She smiled warmly at him. 'Well that's good,' she said, face now changing into a smirk, 'because once we reach the Northern Realm it's going to get an awful lot colder. They don't call it the land of winter for nothing!'

The man's face remained unchanged. He kept his gaze fixed onto the water, seemingly uncaring for the remark.

Lyanna tried again. 'You know, you don't have to be afraid. I have faith your memories will return. You'll find yourself again, I'm sure of it.'

Leos stiffened and turned to face her. 'I'm not afraid,' he growled, 'I'm just tired of not knowing who I ...' he paused mid-sentence as a thought struck him. 'How did you know that?'

'Know what? replied Lyanna casually, twirling a strand of crimson hair around her finger.

Leos turned to face her. 'My thoughts. You keep saying them. It's like your reading my mind or something.'