Chapter Twenty Three

D.R. Hurley

Twenty Three

The high domed ceilings of Anthrea's Winter Palace were filled with the raucous echoes of hundreds of raised voices, each of whom fought desperately to be heard by the head of state. A common occurrence that often graced these fine halls.

Usually, it would have taken place inside of the royal throne room, but on this occasion had been moved to the banqueting area, due to the sheer volume of those attended.

Amongst the usual coin merchants and trade leaders frequenting these political debates, stood military leaders, advisors and high-ranking members of office who all sought the attention of Hibernia's already burdened leader, Lord Ellious Fiddooris.

Today's hearing, much like the previous day's engagement, focused solely on war. In fact, since word came of the potential conflict between Trian and Cowldonia, the great halls had been plagued constantly by the swelling press of the public demanding a response. If the Trians were truly guilty of treason, then war would surely follow.

Many were frightened of the potential aftermath which war inevitably brings, and were eager to learn of Hibernia's position towards the matter. Would the state standby and remain neutral? Content to watch silently from afar as the two most powerful nations of this time potentially tore themselves apart. Or should they intervene?

The choice was difficult to say the least, particularly since Hibernia's recent spike in wealth was due to a trade deal between Trian. Despite countless hours of endless discussion, none were closer to any sort of agreement.

Since the sudden and untimely death of the late King, the White Realm had been left leaderless. Its people never fully recovered from the great calamity, more than half a century ago which claimed the lives of not only the entire royal family but also half of Anthrea's population.

Since then, Hibernia has slowly crumbled, and its people have become divided. Many struggled to accept the new regime which rose from the disaster, and they quickly lost faith in their leader to carry on Hibernia's legacy.

Lyanna stood quietly at the back of the group trying to take it all in. The intense debate had consumed everybody's attention so much her sudden appearance went completely unnoticed. Even the gigantic shadow cast down by Argoed drew none to their presence.

Lyanna's heart thumped loudly against her chest as she waited, filling her ears with its increasing rhythm. She stood immobile, frightened by the fear of what she was about to face in the coming moments. She wanted desperately to be somewhere else.

Leos took note of his companion's change of mood, taking in the sudden paling of her blue skin. Gone was the woman's usual hard-faced demeanour. It was now replaced with worry and doubt, making her appear more like the frightened child he originally mistook her for, back in those dreadful prison chambers.

He knelt down beside her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder as she began pulling the large ponytail hanging over her right ear through her fingers. 'Hey, you ok. What's wrong? You're not going to let this lot of stuffy politicians bother you?' he said calmly, 'I'm the one who should be worried. What if they imprison me or something?'

Lyanna raised her head to look at him. Her emerald eyes, so often burning with fire, now looked hollow and empty. Slowly, her cheeks rounded as a thin smile began to creep over her face, bringing some of her warmth back. 'I won't let that happen.' she said softly.

A quiet, gruff from behind signalled Argoed was also in agreement, as the snow lion tipped its massive head down slightly to Leos, much to the man's relief. Perhaps the great creature was finally warming to him? Although he still felt considerably wary of the beast.