Chapter Ten

D.R. Hurley

Ten

Amongst the looming shadows of a forgotten structure, a figure stood alone before a large cylindrical tank. Its contents filled with murky green fluid, and the stain of a dark shape floating within.

A slither of crimson light emitted faintly from where the figure's eye should have been, betraying a sinister appearance.

The soldier never saw the trickle of tiny bubbles drifting through the tank's rank fluid, for his thoughts of the past were so strong it consumed his vision of the present. A reflection set upon the glass tank revealed the face of its creator, General Marcus Zion.

The veteran soldier stood transfixed amidst the eerie gloom for hours. His figure poised and otherwise motionless, save for the gentle movement of his thumb, rubbing across a medal in the shape of a metal star. A medal once held dear by someone close to his heart. Someone now lost forever.

'Soon justice will be upheld. And my heart can finally be at peace.' he said aloud.

Time passed slowly in this lonely place. He didn't know how late it was, nor even that the sun was soon to rise, for light could not penetrate this underground structure.

'Tell me Marcus, what about my son's capture? Has there been further development?'

Memories of the Emperor's voice echoed loudly inside the General's head from the meeting he attended earlier that day. It seemed to go well, he mused, despite the gravity of the situation...

'I'm supposed to be the most powerful man in the entire Empire, and yet, despite all the assets available to me, my family is being held at the mercy of criminals. How could this happen, Marcus, I truly don't understand!?'

General Zion stood proudly before Emperor Lucius Gildane in his private chambers, unfazed by his lordship's outburst. 'Who can say that which drives a man to commit such acts, my lord. Or in this case, what rat?' the General replied bluntly.

'It's definitely the Trians then?' asked Lucius.

'Indeed it is.' replied Marcus, who held up the bronze dagger clutched tightly by his side, and presented it to his friend. 'We recovered this from the crime scene, sire. A ceremonial weapon. Its origin is clear. This message was also found in the traitor's possession.'

He removed a piece of folded parchment from within his tunic and handed it to the Emperor.

For the unjust king, who sits firmly upon his throne of lies, we beseech thee. A reckoning is upon you, and must be succeeded. The child's life returned, for the lands you once stole. A fair exchange we feel, for blood once spilt.

Lucius shook his head in disbelief as he read the message. 'This makes no sense. It speaks of the borderlands, the frontier. Is that what they want? I thought we settled that quarrel recently. A treaty was sanctioned two winters ago.'

'It would appear, my lord, their temper still smoulders,' said Marcus, 'but we do have some good news. An arrest was made this very morning. My men return via airship with the monks responsible for taking the Prince. They are scheduled to arrive soon. Rest assured, those scum will not breathe clean air for much longer. Soon they will be brought to justice. The Dark Uncle will bathe their souls in the Black Sulphur Pits for all eternity!'

Lucius grunted in agreement. 'That's something at least. Are you confident they can reveal anything more about this plot?'

'It's unlikely sire. I expect their role was simply to carry out the abduction, but we will interrogate them regardless.'