Chapter 2: The Arrangements

The compliment still rings in my ears as I try to focus on Chief Nichols's directions.

"You are to behave as Mr. Pace's girlfriend. That is why you were picked for this assignment. You haven't been televised as a police officer yet, and you look like you can socialize with stars."

"But sir, I-"

"No, Davis. You can do this. I can always ask someone else, but that would be riskier to Mr. Pace's safety."

I could feel Lee smirking at me as I tried to explain how I am terrible at acting and can't tell a good lie to save my life. I've never been undercover, I thought I could practice when the stakes weren't so high. This was insanity!

"I think you'll be fine, Detective. I can give you acting tips too, if you need them," Lee chuckles. I hold back a glare that has cracked hardened criminals. I had a feeling it would not be a good way to start the relationship, whatever the end result may be. I'll save it for when I need it.

"It is already decided; Detective Davis will act as your escort and bodyguard. Mr. Pace, I advise you to listen to all her directions, provided she is acting in your best interest." Now I get a look from Chief Nichols. Yes, yes, I know how to babysit, even when there's a gang involved.

"Of course, sir. Mr. Pace will be perfectly safe at all times," I respond. Chief Nichols nods and leaves, but I stay behind to talk about the situation with Lee.

"So when will you move in?" Lee blurts.

"Uh, as soon as possible. The Vipers could attack at any time, and you need to survive the trial in a few months. Even after that, it's going to be hard until we either get rid of this gang or figure out some kind of arrangement with them," I answer.

"I'll clear a space for you. The guest room is currently occupied, but I can fix that in a day. Tom is going to have to go back to his own apartment sometime," Lee sighs.

"Tom who?"

"Oh, Tom Hiddleston. He's been staying in my apartment for two weeks now, trying to avoid his ex. They had a pretty messy breakup."

"I didn't know he had a girlfriend," I say, dumb-struck.

"Most people didn't. Many stars don't like their private lives plastered across every headline in the world," he says, looking at his feet.

"Oh. You must be excellent at dodging the press. If I try to do that, I get a note in my jacket. I have to deal with whatever they want to say about me, good or bad." Lee pales a bit.

"I never realized how hard it must be for the police. You guys get more criticism than most actors do. I can't imagine the stress," he whispers.

"You are a majorly famous actor! I am sure you have had deadlines and difficult directors and sketchy casting directors and, and, and I'm rambling again. I'm going to just shut up again," I chitter. Why can't I think?

Lee laughs. "Really, none of it is all that bad. I deal with mostly pleasant people, or at least people who smile more often than not, and I haven't met a director I didn't like. Not even the auditions are so bad. It's great to get the part, but I am usually more of a 'flow of the universe' kind of guy. If it happens, it happens. If not, move on to the next thing." He smiles, and I feel my heart rate spike.

"Okay, so I'll move in in less than two days, then I will act as your escort to all events and outings..." I read. The packet I was handed is rather thick.

"That sounds right. I think you will enjoy the parties-"

"Parties? Mr. Pace, I think you should be minimizing your public appearances, not galavanting off to parties in Los Angeles."

"I have to stay in the public eye, my career demands it. I can avoid the fan walks and drawn out carpet parades, but I can't miss the premieres and parties," he argues. "You'll just have to come with me," he finishes with a smirk.

"I am not capable of acting calm in such large crowds like that-"

"How did you survive the police training?" he chuckles.

"It isn't the same!" I whine.

"What is so different?"

"Well, for one, no one is trying to kill you, so you have no right to start kicking and screaming to fight your way free. Also I do not have any experience in parties outside of a Super Bowl Sunday gathering and a family New Years celebration whereas I have ample experience in martial arts and high-risk situations."

"You would be with me the whole time, I'm not allowed alone for more than ten minutes right?" Lee grins. I almost break out the glare. Almost.

"Fine, whatever. But you have to do as I say, or I drag you out by your ankle. Or I carry you out, but I think that would be more embarrassing for you than for me. Not to mention it would be hard to get you out safely that way," I add.

"Oh, and it would be safer to drag me by the ankle?" he laughs.

"Yea, I can watch for aerial threats if I drag you. If I had to carry you, I would be able to see threats five feet directly in front of me." Lee shrugs and stands from his chair.

"Alright, Detective, I will see you tonight at 7pm, and wear something nice; we have a party to attend."