Chapter 12: Confessions

All thoughts of emotions aside, Nichols is furious. Zach literally fell asleep on the job while I, the screw-up rookie, apprehended the perp and comforted the victim. He's been assigned desk duty for a week.

Tom Hiddleston declined to go to the hospital, claiming that it was just shock and nothing more. Paramedics check my nose, inform me that it isn't actually broken, and direct me toward Chief Nichols in the corner of the elevator lobby.

"Davis, you did a damn good job this morning," he grunts.

"Thank you, sir. I thought Detective Sykes would need a night to adjust, so I stayed to make the transition easier."

"The press is dying to know what is going on, and the unis are peeing their pants trying to keep them under control. Can you handle the damage?"

"That depends, can I say anything about the trial or the gang?"

"No, neither. The commissioner wants to keep everything as quiet as possible."

"Okay, I'll spin it as a twisted prank then. Some disgruntled fan with a thing for rats, maybe?"

"Anything but the truth," Nichols affirms. It is interesting how much we lie to serve the purpose of truth and justice. I step through the steel doors and press the 12th floor button then the button to close the doors.

Just as they are inches apart, thick fingers wedge between them and push the doors open. Zach slips through the opening and joins me for the slow descent.

"So you've been reassigned again?"

"Yep, I'm taking your job. Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of homicides and robberies to solve while I'm protecting a celebrity," I sass. Zach glares at me and I notice the tips of his fingers twitch toward his palm. "Go ahead, see what happens when you punch me. I'd love to see your ass on the street or in prison," I warn. I had lost all the respect I once held for my formerly affable partner.

Zach grumbles something threatening, but walks away with his head down as soon as the elevator reaches the twelfth floor. I wonder what kind of things Lee must be thinking, and growing concerned, I jam my finger on the up button.

Once the elevator arrives, I walk over to the apartment door where Lee and Tom are waiting in silence, sneaking past the busy chief. Lee looks paler than usual, Tom just looks bored. The green tint of sickness is gone from his cheeks and he looks better than he did when I first met him.

"So... I'll be here a bit longer, but I guess you already heard that," I say. The apartment is a complete disaster area, and it doesn't help that the forensic team is wearing what look like hazmat suits.

Lee sighs deeply and limps into the apartment. "When will I be able to get back in here?" he asks dejectedly.

"Not for a while, sir. I am sorry about your apartment, but most of it is now evidence. Is there somewhere else you can stay?" the lead forensic analyst says.

"He can stay with me," I answer without thinking. Tom raises an eyebrow at me and the corner of his mouth quirks up into a smirk. Lee looks gratefully at me while the analyst walks away nodding.

"Go pack your bag. I think you'll be with me for a while," I order. While he is in his room, Tom takes the opportunity to badger me more about my "relationship" with Lee.

"He told me that he likes you, he is just too shy to say it himself. Trust me on this," he begs.

"And you were sleeping on your friend's couch less than a week ago because you're a expert on relationships, right?" I remind him sarcastically. He rolls his eyes and wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"That may be, but I know what love looks like when I see it. Lee Pace can most definitely act, but I've never seen him so raw and exposed. Talk to him," he suggests. I'm about to argue when Tom pulls me into a hug and starts stroking my hair. What the hell?

Lee coughs behind me. I turn abruptly and feel my cheeks flush. Tom chuckles quietly behind me.

"You ready to go?" I ask. Lee nods angrily. Tom smirks as we exit the bloody apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lee is absolutely silent on the drive to my apartment. I feel like he is ignoring me, but I also don't want to prod him for his thoughts and risk making this hell he's going through worse.

When I pull into the parking garage, Lee steps out and grabs his bag without a word, just waiting to be led upstairs.

"Actually, I think I'm just going to stay in a hotel until they return my apartment to me. You're welcome to rent a room adjacent if you want. Know any good hotels nearby?" he asks quickly.

"I can't let you out of my sight, you know that," I remind him.

"Hmpf" Lee grumbles, walking to the old staircase. I follow him up to my apartment; he remembered the way from being there once. The apartment is still a mess, and Lee stands in the doorway while I scurry around trying to clean it up.

"You can take my bed, I'll sleep on the couch again," I begin to say when Lee cuts me off.

"I told you I'm staying in a hotel. I'm just waiting for the limo to arrive to take me to the Chatwal. Then I don't care what you do after that," he huffs.

"Fine, go to the Chatwal, get yourself killed. That's the best way, isn't it? Let the gangs win, let them continue killing innocent people. Lee, you aren't this reckless." He just rolls his eyes.

"Lee, what is the matter? What happened to the guy who was kind and thoughtful about the world?"

"You know, for an NYPD detective, you're not very observant," he chuckles nervously.

"Tom was trying to tell me, but I can't wrap my head around you. I've never been the girl that gets asked to anything. Even if it happens, I find an excuse to stay out. But I like you, and I don't want this to become a job. I can handle the way it is now: a fake relationship that I can engage falsely in, just hoping that one day we can part ways and you'll remember me with slight happiness. Because I always leave. Whether I'm pulled away, or I walk away, I always leave."

"I think you'll find a way to stay," he whispers, walking closer. His bags lay forgotten on the floor by the table. He cups my face in his hands and tilts his head slightly. Maybe I can stay. This time. I angle my head too and kiss him.

-------

Sorry it took so long to get this chapter out. The next one will come out faster, I promise.