Chapter 8: Discharge

The next morning, my room is filled with police officers. Twenty pairs of eyes shift from me to Lee and back to me constantly. What? Did no one know this was my assignment?

"Hey guys, what's up?" I yawn.

"Anna, why didn't you tell anyone you were protecting a star?" someone from the back calls.

"Uh, because I thought you already knew? It wasn't really an undercover op, I thought Nichols would have told you," I offer.

"You know how forthcoming with information he is," Zach snorts. "Like how you are quitting the force."

"I'm not quitting. I getting fired, Nichols said so," I argue. Zach gives me a look and turns on the small tv in the corner.

"And in other breaking news, actor Lee Pace was shot at in an outlet store, but a girl hews switch took a bullet for him. No word yet on her condition or any comment from the police on their involvement. One thing is for sure, Lee Pace would be dead if not for this girl," the news reporter says, displaying a picture of my face in Ralph Lauren. I feel every set of eyes on me, even the crusted ones of Lee.

"If you got fired, the public would riot. Your job is safe. Maybe even guaranteed for the rest of your life," Lee whistles. I just shake my head. It was a freaking ricochet! I'm no hero, I didn't 'take a bullet' for Lee. I would have, but that wasn't how it happened.

"So when will you be back?" Zach blurts.

"I'll be back when my current assignment is finished. Which is not for at least a week, when the preliminary hearing is," I retort, annoyed with Zach's pressure for my return to work. Lee takes my hand and rubs his thumb along the back of it absentmindedly. His hands are soft and strong, not like mine that are calloused and nimble.

"Yea, the preliminary hearing. You know how gangs work Anna. They never quit unless they're all out. You can't protect him forever, even if he needs it," Zach snorts, shaking his head at Lee. I squeeze his hand when he tenses in anger. I can't blame him for being offended.

"You're right, but until such time as I am assigned elsewhere, I will be staying with Mr. Pace and defending him with my life." Every officer nods in agreement or respect. Then most say their condolences and wishes, then leave. Zach lingers, but eventually follows the crowd out.

Lee sighs deeply. "Wow I don't like that guy. How do you put up with him as a partner?"

"He's much nicer to me and I can always trust him to cover my back. Always." Lee nods resignedly.

"Are you two..."

"No, no. He asked me once, like, five years ago, but I was married to the job then and did not have time for a relationship."

"Past tense?" Lee asks, smile on his face.

"Yea, past tense. I finally joined one of those dating websites last month."

"And?"

"Lots of freaks and losers. One guy was fifty and still hadn't ever held a job for more than two weeks. It was sad," I laugh. "Yea, I'm probably going to withdraw my membership and just go back to the old fashioned way."

"I see," Lee sighs, stretching. "I'm going to find a nurse to see if you can be discharged today. I've got a few things I need to do and I can't go without my body guard," he smiles.

"Lee!"

"What?" He asks, half out the door.

"You might want to put a shirt on. You might give someone a heart attack," I call. He looks down and blushes deeply. I toss him the shirt that is right by my legs and wave him away playfully.

While he is looking for a nurse, the doctor comes in and signs my discharge papers. They take out the IV and give me a hospital t-shirt because the one I had been wearing is ruined. I am just putting my jeans back on and trying to look at my back in the mirror when Lee comes back and catches me without a shirt.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't know you were changing and I, uh... I'm just going to wait in the hall," he stammers, covering his eyes with his hand. I look back at the bandages around my shoulder. I was expecting black blood to stain the white bandages, but they are pure white without any dark spots.

I laugh to myself, trying to remember why this was such a big deal. Then I try to move my shoulder to put the shirt on and wince in pain. It feels like a fire burning under my skin, trying feverishly to escape and devour my body. This is just perfect.

Biting my cheek, I slip into the shirt and manage to not scream in pain. Then I grab my phone and the speaker and head out to the hall where Lee is pacing.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Anna, I'm so sorry. I should have knocked," he begins.

"Lee, it's fine. Really, don't worry about that. It's not like you watched me in the shower," I laugh, patting his arm. He smiles faintly and I see the pink on his cheeks fade a little.

"Shall we then?" I offer, motioning toward the elevator.

"We shall," he answers, stepping forward. We walk side by side into the elevator and don't really talk in the way down. I steal glances when he's not looking and I feel his eyes on me the moment I look away.

When we arrive in the lobby, cameras are everywhere. Lee grabs my hand (the good one thankfully) and pulls me into a side hallway.

"You have gotten good at dodging the press haven't you?" I whisper.

He nods. "I don't know if it's better to face them or run. You're supposed to be my girlfriend, right?"

"Yea, I don't think we should run. They'll chase us if we do. I think it would be better to face them now and demand privacy so I can recover," I suggest. Lee thinks about it for a minute, hand on his chin and eyes fixed on me.

"Alright, let's get a few things strait first. Where did we first meet?"

"Central Park on a jogging trail."

"How long have we been dating?"

"Three weeks."

"Okay. If they ask any other questions, I'll do the talking. If we answer at the same time, they'll know it's not an actual relationship. You can always chime in, but don't forget what you're saying, they won't."

"This isn't my first press conference, Lee. We'll be fine," I encourage. Lee nods nervously and offers his arm. I take it so I look like a devoted girlfriend with an injured shoulder: practically hanging. We step out of the hallway and are immediately surrounded by flashing cameras and microphones.