Chapter 10: The Plan

"Lee, come on. Let me in," I plead. I hear shuffling inside the apartment then the door swings back to reveal nothing but my packed bag.

"What is this?" he asks, stepping into the light.

"I've been reassigned. Zach will be your primary bodyguard now," I admit. Lee's face remains stoic, but I notice his Adam's apple quivering.

"Can you stay for one more night, while Zach gets his bearings?"

"Of course I can. But I'll be forced to leave in the morning," I remind him. He nods and opens the door wider so that I can step through. "And in the hall, Zach forced himself on me. I didn't ask for it, nor did I want it," I explain.

"You know you don't need to explain your love life to me," Lee whispers.

"I feel inclined to. It's just that... you, uh... You are... You seemed so... upset in the hall," I stammer.

"I am a fantastic actor, aren't I?" he sneers.

"I don't have to stay. Zach is capable of keeping the Vipers from killing you without my help," I say accusingly. Lee softens a bit at my threat, but doesn't apologize for his words. Fine, two can play that game.

I throw myself on the couch and start crying. Lee hesitates for a moment before walking over and sitting at my feet.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you. It's just that your partner makes me so... Angry," he says, hand resting on my ankle. Gotcha.

"So you are sorry," I say, sitting strait up. Lee stares at me for a second before laughing.

"Are you sure you're not an actress? That was pretty good crying."

"Nope, graduated third in my class at the Academy. No drama training here."

"What a waste. You would have fit in perfectly at Juliard."

"Yea, well... Not all of us are cut out for millions of people screaming your name or making YouTube videos dedicated to how sexy you are," I reply sarcastically. Lee laughs.

"I tend to stay out of that part of YouTube. Can you keep a secret?" I nod curiously.

"I don't actually run any of my social media. I send my manager pictures every once in awhile while and let her handle it. I don't want to be that guy who accidentally insults thousands of people. It's easier to let Jane handle it than do it myself," he admits.

"Your manager's name is Jane? That is such a stereotypical name for a manager," I giggle. Lee smiles.

"Yes, my manager's name is Jane. She is the only reason I get to sets on time plus all my social networking... yea, she does almost everything for me."

"How have we not met in these few days if she does everything for you?" I ask. Lee shrugs.

"She has been taking some personal time. I didn't ask why. And maybe she doesn't do everything. I am capable of dressing myself and cooking," he answers. Interesting. She hasn't been around since the threats started coming. I take a mental note of that for the future.

"It seems odd to me that you can completely handle yourself in front of the press and you choose to let another run all your social networks."

"I suppose you're right, but she hasn't done anything to make me look bad, so I will just leave things the way they are." Alright time for a change in topic.

"So tomorrow, I think it would be best if we 'break up' publicly. Just so the press doesn't start whispering about you cheating on me with Zach."

"As if that would ever happen," he says with a shiver. "But I don't think we need to break up, you just have to spend more time with me," he grins.

"That is... actually a genius plan. Are you sure you don't have any police training?"

"Nope. No real action for me," he admits, unmarked hands raised.

"That could really work. I can go to work everyday and then come here to take a shift watching you. We can go out and be public, so long as we are careful, this can work," I think out loud. I'll get to see Lee everyday and still work as a detective. Nichols can't tell me who to date, so I just have to actually date Lee Pace.

"So you'll do it?" he asks hopefully.

"Yes, I'll do it. How do you want me to go about this?"

"Well, the press already said that you love here with me, so you'll have to move in more permanently than just a suitcase. There will have to be more couple kind of things, like holding hands and laughing together. As long as that's ok with you," he answers, scratching the back of his neck. I feel a smile grow across my lips.

"I think I can do that." Lee looks beside himself with excitement, almost like he didn't think I would agree and now that I have, he doesn't know what to do with himself.

"It's getting late, and I'm going to have a long day of work tomorrow," I yawn. Lee nods, but instead of going to bed like I thought he would, he kisses me.

"Goodnight, Anna. I will see you in the morning," he whispers before slipping into his own room and gently closing the door.

I stand there, still awed by this man's actions. I can't tell if he is acting or not.