Chapter 5: Shopping

Tom shuffles out fifteen minutes later in a suit and tie. He doesn't have any bags, just a pair of pants slung over his shoulder. Lee stops mid-thought to open the door for him.

"I'm sorry I called you a whore. I hope to show you the full magnitude of my guilt in the future," Tom says, stepping out of the apartment. Lee slams the door as soon as Tom is out of the way.

"I wish you could have met him sober," Lee mutters, taking my plate to the sink.

"Let me do the dishes. You cooked," I say, stepping over to the sink.

"I don't think so. I haven't had a proper guest in ages. You are not going to be responsible for any chores. Go ahead and get dressed, then we'll go to Ralph Lauren or anywhere you want to go."

"Oh, come on! I need to do something to help," I protest.

"No, go get dressed," Lee laughs. I reluctantly grab some clothes from my duffle and sulk into the bathroom.

After changing into a pair of jeans and a crop top, I meet Lee in the kitchen. He's wearing a white button down shirt and black jeans. His hair is greased back and he finally shaved.

"You ready?" he asks, hand on the door handle.

"Promise to stay away from the windows first."

"I promise to stay by you," he smirks.

"Alri- that's not what I said," I say.

"That's what I meant. Staying away from windows isn't going to guarantee my safety. But your presence will," he whispers.

"Oh my god, I'm just a rookie detec-"

"If you hadn't been at the restaurant with me last night, I'd be dead. You are intimidating, whether you know it or not. You can do so much more than you give yourself credit for," he insists. "Come on, I promise to exactly what you say." I nod and step out the door.

We call a cab on the street; it's easier and less traceable than driving my Bentley or one of Lee's cars. We head to Ralph Lauren first, where I Lee finds a light purple polo and khakis. I stand outside his dressing room, watching for anything that could hurt Lee. The trial is in one week, and I don't notice when he steps out in a blue plaid suit.

"What do you think?" he says, turning in circles. He looks amazing.

"I think you look great. It would be better with a white button up shirt though," I answer, tugging at the light blue polo. He nods and steps back into the small closet. I lean against the wall a few feet away while he changes.

A burly man approaches the dressing rooms in a tight muscle shirt and cargo shorts. I can see the hunting knife strapped to his belt and there is a coiled viper tattoo on his left shoulder. I step toward the door with a hanger in one hand. He sees me at the door, then raises his hands in surrender with a note between two fingers.

"This one's for you," he growls, extending the note to me. I rip it away as he turns in his heel to leave. I uncrumple the note and take a moment to read it before Lee steps out.

You have no business in this fight. Leave the witness now, or we will kill everyone you know. You will be forgotten and left alone if you comply. Leave now and take this note with you.

Let them try. My family is dead and I have no friends. The only people they could kill belong to the LAPD. I cross my arms and plant my feet firmly in front of Lee's door. The moment he opens the door, shots are fired into the adjacent closest. Lee jumps back and I step in front of him, catching a ricochet to the shoulder. I gasp as I feel the bite of the bullet in my back, but I stay on my feet to defend Lee.

We back into the closet and close the door. I whip out my phone and call for backup and an ambulance. Lee grabs the polo he just changed out of and presses it against my shoulder.

"Lee, you'll ruin the shirt."

"Seriously? You're bleeding. I am not concerned with ruining the shirt," he shouts over the screaming of other shoppers. I can hear police sirens wailing in the distance. The shooting has stopped, but I can hear the screaming of frightened shoppers still ringing in my ears long after they have silenced.

After another ten minutes, the paramedics finally get me on a stretcher.

"Sorry sir, only family is allowed," the female chimes when Lee steps up to the door.

"I need him to stay with me. Let him in," I command, flashing my badge. The paramedic sighs and lets Lee up into the ambulance.

"Why did you do that, Anna?" he asks as the paramedics stick the IV needle in my arm.

"It's my job. I am your body guard, whether you act like it or not," I sass. Lee just looks at me like I'm crazy or maybe it's sympathy...

"You shouldn't risk your life for mine."

"Anyone who is willing to risk his life to put a murderer away deserves my protection. That entails every service I can offer which includes taking a bullet. And by the way, that was a ricochet, not an actual shot to the shoulder," I argue. He sighs and stares at the heart monitor, which is showing absolutely nothing abnormal.

Secretly, I love how much he cares. No one has ever paid that much attention except my crazy aunt. She had Alzheimer's and was constantly stuck in the 80's when I was a little girl. Lee just seems genuinely concerned about what happens to me. It's nice.

"We'll be there in five minutes, just hold on!" the paramedics scream as the ambulance swerves through traffic. I glance at the heart monitor to find it beeping wildly, it looks rather scary. My vision starts slipping and I feel Lee's grip on my hand tighten.