The Gauntlet is Thrown

James' POV

My friends and I were in our free period. Yugi, Tristan, and I watch Joey and Tea duel.

Tristan: Joey, make a move already.

Joey: Okay, here you go, tough guy. My Rock Ogre's "gonna rock your block off."

Tea: "Hmmm..."

Tea then summons a happy lover monster in defense mode.

Joey: Yeah, Tea. Like that wimpy card has a chance against my giant rock guy. "Give it up!"

Tea: "I guess I don't stand a chance..." Unless maybe I use the Breath of Life card.

Joey: Huh? Can she do that?

Yugi: Oh yeah, the Breath of Life wears down rock monsters.

James: Instantly destroying your Rock Ogre.

Joey: Ahh!

Tea: That brings your life points down to zero, Joey. Once again, you lose, and I rock.

Tristan: You stink at this game.

The school day ends. Yugi, Joey, and I are hanging out by some pull-up bars. Yugi sat on one, and "Joey leans on the other."

Joey: Tristan's right. You guys. I do stink. I can't win at Duel Monsters to save my life. What is it, Yugi? Why can't I ever win? Teach me what I'm doin' wrong.

Yugi jumps down from the pull-up bar and walks over to Joey.

Yugi: Well, let's start by checking your deck, Joey.

Joey: Huh? 'Kay...

Joey reaches into his pocket and pulls out his deck as he hands it to Yugi.

Joey: Here you go.

Yugi: Thanks.

James: Let me have a look too.

I look over Yugi's shoulder and see's Joey's deck is full of monster cards.

Joey: "Powerhouse lineup, don't ya think?"

Yugi: No one can win with these. Joey, your deck's filled with nothing but monster cards.

Joey: You got it. I packed it with every butt-kickin' monster I could find.

James: But Duel Monsters doesn't work that way. It's about making your monsters stronger by using magic cards. Or using trap cards to destroy your opponent's monsters.

Yugi: With no Magic or Traps in your deck, your monsters will get creamed every time.

Joey gets off of the pull-up bars and runs over to Yugi and "I."

Joey: See! That's the kind of stuff I need to know. "Guys, you've gotta help me learn more."

James: Well, First things first, we got to get you some magic and trap cards. And we all know the place to get some.

Joey: Oh! That's right! Yugi's Grandpa's Game Shop!

And so we made our way to Mr. Muto's Game Shop to get Joey some "fresh" cards for his new duel deck.

Yugi: Hey Grandpa! I'm home!

Mr. Muto: And I see you brought James and Joey as well.

Joey: Hi, Mr. Muto. I was wondering which Duel Monster's pack is the best for helping me with my duels.

Mr. Muto: Well, That depends on what cards you're currently using.

James: It's nothing but monster cards in his deck.