First Duel

3rd Person POV

In the castle in the middle of Duelist Kingdom, Pegasus laughs to himself as he sits in a large dining room and smiles as he looks at a pocket watch before closing it.

Pegasus: All over the island, my unwitting pawns are in place. "The duels have begun, and by now..." The slow process of elimination is well underway. Only the strongest Duel Monsters players will survive, and those of insufficient skill will fall by the wayside.

James' POV

"Me" and the others walk towards a cliff near the edge of the island as Joey had taken "Weevil's dueling glove and puts it on his right hand." "Joey smiles as he "punched" his left palm and looked out to the water."

Joey: "Ok, bring 'em on." I'm itchin' to duel, and I'm taking on the next player we see.

Joey runs ahead of the group as he smiles as "Me" and the others look at him.

Tea: You know, I'm not so sure Joey's up to this.

Tristan: Yeah, there are tournament-level players here. But don't you think he's smart enough to realize-

James: Don't forget Tristan. I've been teaching Joey everything I know about Duel Monsters. As long as he plays his cards right and believes in the Heart of the Cards, then he'll be able to win any duel that'll come his way.

We then look at Joey, who's at the edge of the cliff.

Joey: Here I stand, the next Duel Monsters Champion!

We all start to look worried.

James: Assuming he'll remember everything I taught him.

Tea: Oh, he needs a reality check.

Tristan: "Guess he's about as "smart" as he looks."

We soon sit by the cliff for a moment before hearing cheering in the distance.

Tea: Look over there.

We all turn and see that there were a lot more duel arenas with duels going on.

James: There are so many Duel Monster stadiums. They're all over the place.

Joey holds up his hands and clenches them into fists as he puts on his game face.

Joey: Right, I'm going in.

Tristan: You sure you want to do this? If you lose, you give up your only star chip.

Tea: That's right.

Joey groans and falls to the ground.

James: Don't worry, Joey. I taught you everything I know about Duel Monsters. You know that, right?

Joey gets up slowly as he looks at me.

Joey: I hope you're right, James. This'll be my first official duel, and I can't afford to get knocked out at the start.

James: Ture. But not every duelist here is a pro. I'm sure there's someone as equally skilled as you are here.

Tea: Go for someone easy, Joey.

Joey nods as he pulls out his deck and looks at his cards.

Joey: "And I guess I should think about what kind of field my cards are best suited for." "They're mostly monsters and fighter types." "I guess that makes this meadow region my kind of turf."

James: You see. You know what you're doing.

???: You lost, crybaby. Now give me your star chips.